Sidemount course really necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MyronGanes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I've essentially taught myself how to sidemount. I've done some cave training in sidemount as well and my cave instructor had no issues with my diving. He also offered to teach me the Tec courses alongside the cave training.

Now I'm back in Canada and I'm looking to take the Tec 40 course. The instructor won't teach it unless I take the 2 day sidemount course first which is $400 in itself. Is this really necessary?

It is if you want to take it with that instructor!

Pragmatically yes, but I'm speaking in terms of my competence and ability to complete the Tec 40 course without spending another $400 on the beginner sidemount course.

what he said, only if you want to take it with that instructor. If you think you can sidemount, then you should find an instructor who isn't a blithering idiot and let's you take it in sidemount. Better question is why are you taking a tec40 course if you have started cave certs? Tec40 is intro to tec which you have surpassed by getting a cave certification.... If you're doing it for deco, ask your cave instructor to wrap it into your full cave course, it's not uncommon

what he said, only if you want to take it with that instructor. If you think you can sidemount, then you should find an instructor who isn't a blithering idiot and let's you take it in sidemount. Better question is why are you taking a tec40 course if you have started cave certs? Tec40 is intro to tec which you have surpassed by getting a cave certification.... If you're doing it for deco, ask your cave instructor to wrap it into your full cave course, it's not uncommon

I've only done cave 1 and 2. I'm not fully cave certified. I don't live in Florida so I didn't have the time to finish it entirely. I'm now home in Canada wanting to take the Tec courses for deco as you've said.

cave 2 is full cave, technically past it since it requires decompression.... unless you are talking about cavern/intro.

Either way, you have passed the justification for Tec40 because you have already made the transition to technical diving so you should be looking for Tec45. Or another instructor. Where in Canada are you?

It sounds like you're running into a "must check the box" agency......I assume you want to take tec 40 in SM, correct?

If you think you can sidemount, then you should find an instructor who isn't a blithering idiot and let's you take it in sidemount.

There's a large difference between "thinking you can" and "having the capability".
And it's not because "some cave instructor" said he's good that he actually is. Too many lousy "side-whatever-mount" divers around, even in caves.

Basically, if you're sure you're good, get another instructor. Or suggest a check-out dive, but to me if the instructor did not suggest it, I'd already be gone.

It sounds like you're running into a "must check the box" agency......I assume you want to take tec 40 in SM, correct?

Preferably in sidemount yes. Is this a course I could just take in recreational backmount gear?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom