Sidemount Cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will soon be switching over to SM and will be breaking down my double Faber 85's. Would it be possible to place some kind of weight on the lower end of the tanks to compensate for the increase in buoyancy?

The best thing to do to keep the cylinders from doing that is to either not breathe them down so much or to look for a set of Worthington 85s. You can't change the buoyancy characteristics of the cylinders. While, like James, I'll add weights to AL80s when I'm traveling, it's only because I don't have a choice in cylinders when traveling. At home I have a choice. While it might cost a little to get different cylinder you'll be happier in the long run.

LoL! After buying all my SM equipment I cannot afford to buy more tanks. :) I'll just have to make mine work. I rarely breathe them below 2000 so I should be OK.

OK, so what did you buy?????

Don't all 8" tanks have the same frontal surface area? 7.5"?
Seems to me with proper trim this wouldn't be a factor.
I can see it making a difference switching between the two dia. but not tank length.

It's tank length not diameter. Faber 108s will do the same thing and they are 8" cylinders not 7" like the 85s. I'm not sure what frontal surface area would have to do with lengthwise trim of the cylinders.

The front is what cuts the water. If the tanks are level in the water that would be the size being pushed through the water.

I know what the front is. I still don't understand what that has to do with trim.

So which works better with Aluminum 80s - putting a weight on the tank or clipping off to a d-ring?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom