Sidemount Diving Equipment: Tank Band Choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you look at the pics above closely you'll notice the "ring" end of the band is simply threaded through a loop that's secured by velcro. The velcro is held tight in place on the inside when you secure the camband on the cylinder.

That's exactly what I was missing.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

The width of a camband (scubapro and non-scubapro) are all 2 inches. As long as I can find a 2 inches tri-slide, I shouldn't have any problem sliding it onto the camband.

But thankyou for reminding me to pick up some tri-slide as well.

I don't own my own tank and I want tool-less dis-assembly. Plus, if I go on a scuba vacation (ex: Maldives), I felt that using hose clamps would be quite inconvenient for the boat crews who are changing my tank.

Why would you even consider allowing boat crews to set up your sidemount cylinders? The last thing I'd want is someone else messing with my bands.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I really like the scubapro type cambands on my tanks when I first started out, but after awhile of having line and rope get under the quick release a bunch of times, I switched to normal cam bands.

I still use the sp ones on other tanks just not my sidemount tanks.

I use the SP cam bands on my travel rig. Works great! Easy on, easy off. Just have to pay attention to the orientation to your clips. At home everything is s/s hose clamps. Setup is always consistent and fast.

I don't own my own tank and I want tool-less dis-assembly. Plus, if I go on a scuba vacation (ex: Maldives), I felt that using hose clamps would be quite inconvenient for the boat crews who are changing my tank.

Makes sense.

Why would you even consider allowing boat crews to set up your sidemount cylinders? The last thing I'd want is someone else messing with my bands.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Having your gear carried to the boat, assembled, and disassembled is pretty common in vacation spots like the Maldives, Malaysia, and the Philippines. You are right though, it is likely that boat crews who don't setup sidemount gears often would mis-align the bolt snaps with the tank valve.

Diving sidemount you probably won't need to switch out tanks in-between dives. You are diving doubles and should get at least two dives out of a set

Not a fan of the SP Style Cam Strap due to the fact that line, cable, etc can catch or get caught on it which in turn can release it. If going with a cam strap, use traditional style because they lay more flat and less likely to get caught.

Hello. I'm using regular tank bands from XS scuba and I'm not thinking to change it for a while. I traveled and took this cambands with me and used it in a rented tanks and again no problem.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385770566.936044.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1385770596.683927.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1385770632.667226.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1385770683.883962.jpg
Greetings from Argentina.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

Not a fan of the SP Style Cam Strap due to the fact that line, cable, etc can catch or get caught on it which in turn can release it. If going with a cam strap, use traditional style because they lay more flat and less likely to get caught.

Easy solution is to use a piece of inner tube over the camband. I even use inner tube over my traditional style cambands because I have both had line get caught in the velcro and have had students get line caught in the velcro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom