Sidemount in Wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, there'd be no need to push it that far. Most technical wreck courses are run to the student's comfort level. It's primarily about guideline laying, gas management, team skills and contingency protocols.

The Major-Extreme restriction stuff comes in higher level courses and with significant overhead experience. I do these (small holes) on Advanced Sidemount (note: NOT the same as 'Tec Sidemount etc).

I see thank you for putting my mind at ease :) Will have to find some time and $$ to do a course now.

I originally got interested in sidemount diving after I had a bit of trouble navigating through a sub in backmount. Since then I have never looked back. Sure it is slightly more difficult (not really, just different) with boat entry and exits but entirely manageable and worth the little bit of extra effort.

We had a team diving with Sidemount during our 2-weeks safari at Truk Lagoon. Thus, it was 100% wreck diving safari, and with sidemount. In fact three of us were starting sidemount diving at that time, and we didi TDI Sidemount course before our trip (ok, some training dives also @ Truk). For me this new gear is abslolutely best choice, due to many benefits. For example; it's so easy to descend to water and connect tanks on water, but even better is to come up as you can hand over the tank for your buddy who is in boat, and step up without heavy gear on your back. Also, penetration to narrow places is so easy with tanks which you can turn to front of you. Furthermore: it's so easy to add (and even switch tank for buddy if she/he needs more air) tanks during the dive. And much more. I strongly recommend sidemount - I'm not going back to "old jacket with tank on back" -gear,

Have a look to our dives @ Truk Lagoon, in which you see some sidemount divers. Truk Lagoon, Micronesia - YouTube
(I recommend especially the video of "Sankisan Maru")

We had a team diving with Sidemount during our 2-weeks safari at Truk Lagoon. Thus, it was 100% wreck diving safari, and with sidemount. In fact three of us were starting sidemount diving at that time, and we didi TDI Sidemount course before our trip (ok, some training dives also @ Truk). For me this new gear is abslolutely best choice, due to many benefits. For example; it's so easy to descend to water and connect tanks on water, but even better is to come up as you can hand over the tank for your buddy who is in boat, and step up without heavy gear on your back. Also, penetration to narrow places is so easy with tanks which you can turn to front of you. Furthermore: it's so easy to add (and even switch tank for buddy if she/he needs more air) tanks during the dive. And much more. I strongly recommend sidemount - I'm not going back to "old jacket with tank on back" -gear,

Have a look to our dives @ Truk Lagoon, in which you see some sidemount divers. Truk Lagoon, Micronesia - YouTube
(I recommend especially the video of "Sankisan Maru")

Those are terrible examples of side mount diving! I don't know who you took your TDI course from, but I would ask for my money back! He obviously didn't know what he was doing and now he is passing it on. Not your fault, because you didn't know what to look for, but this instructor did not have you set up properly at all.
And who was the back mount guy in the shorts? Tell him to leave stuff alone! I thought those wrecks were war memorials.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom