Signal cannon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've got a steel 72 that failed hydro, it did not go back to size after the pressure was released. I'm thinking of making a small black powder noise maker for my front yard. No projectiles just some BP and a wad make go BOOM! Anybody ever do this?

Sounds like a lot of BP to get a bang. Look at the dimensions of the tank, better served by a smaller diameter vessel for your application I would think. Even better, make a lamp and buy a BP cannon.

Sounds like a lot of BP to get a bang. Look at the dimensions of the tank, better served by a smaller diameter vessel for your application I would think. Even better, make a lamp and buy a BP cannon.

I'd love to buy a BP cannon where does one go to buy a BP cannon big enough for the front yard?:coffee: My second choice would be a bell. Lamps are well ..to ordinary for me.:wink: A lot of BP would make a big boom! I thought start with a 1/4 cup packed with a ball of newpaper and work up from there.

Last edited:
Guys, guys... a black powder cannon? Really?

Didn't you learn anything from this thread??

Thread seems to be inaccessible:

You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Make a carbide cannon out of it, it's a lot safer than loading it with BP.

The valve hole would make a great location for the sparker

Last edited:
Thread seems to be inaccessible

Yeah you have to be a member of The Pub to access it... don't worry, I was just making a silly joke :wink:

Remind me to put on my flack vest when you light this thing. It failed hydro because something is wrong with it, and you want to load it with explosives?

On a practicality note, this cannon would be classified as a 50-pounder. That's a BIG cannon. You'd need a serious wad to make it go BOOM instead of PFFFFF.

I would think you'd be better off with one of those Spare Air tanks. It would be easier to get a bang, and if it exploded the shrapnel wouldn't penetrate the neighbor's houses.

Then maybe graduate to a D-size oxygen tank.

Remind me to put on my flack vest when you light this thing. It failed hydro because something is wrong with it, and you want to load it with explosives?

On a practicality note, this cannon would be classified as a 50-pounder. That's a BIG cannon. You'd need a serious wad to make it go BOOM instead of PFFFFF.

I would think you'd be better off with one of those Spare Air tanks. It would be easier to get a bang, and if it exploded the shrapnel wouldn't penetrate the neighbor's houses.

Then maybe graduate to a D-size oxygen tank.

You make it sound so dangerous. A 50 pounder WOW! That's like 105 Howister! :rofl3: I think Hartford is far enough from RI you'll be OK.:wink: I'll point it west let me know if you hear it. I don't have neighbors that close but, I'll go down to the river anyway and use a long fuse so I can get the heck out of the way!:shocked2: Maybe I'll setup a video camera to record the disaster.....I mean event! No balls no glory! Man your ramrod!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom