Signaling

What signaling devices do you always dive with?

• Safety Sausage

Votes: 61 59.2%
  • Long-Distance Noise Maker (like a compressed air horn)

Votes: 33 32.0%
  • Light (during the day)

Votes: 41 39.8%
  • Other (Dye marker, sat phone, etc. Please explain)

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Two or more of the above

Votes: 37 35.9%
  • Three or more of the above

Votes: 16 15.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you choose to carry a mirror I would strongly suggest coughing up the 10-15 bucks for a good one. The flash created by a CD is laughable compared to that produced by a good mirror. A CD is impressive up close but get a mile away and there is no comparison.

Dan

Primary light, 2 backup lights, 6 foot safety sausage pre-rigged on a 100 ft spool. Often a storm whistle.

Trucker girl: I LOVE the redneck mirror! I am going to add that one to my BC collection! Great idea! I use a sausage, knife on right shoulder (when the dive op lets me), always carry a dive light, whistle and tank strobe.

FWIW, I've read that the CDs don't last very long in salt water, so if you use one, you need to keep an eye on it to make sure the aluminum is still shiny.

Terry

Ooops. I should have selected 3 or more of above. SS, whistle, Dive Alert, Light, mirror. Don't want them to make a movie about my life.:rofl3:

Ooops. I should have selected 3 or more of above. SS, whistle, Dive Alert, Light, mirror. Don't want them to make a movie about my life.
Not to be morbid, but it probably wouldn't be your life that would be the movie subject....

You're alive!!! :D Hi buddy! You're forgetting the little orange safety sausage.

You also have a knife on your right shoulder, which you could use to stab annoying coffee drinking singing-in-the-car buddies so that maybe the blood slick will be visible. :11: I really should learn to keep my mouth shut...:shakehead:

I am alive! No knife stabbing, though. It's a blunt tip- so I'd have to saw you to death with it. Messy. Very messy. :D

Trucker girl: I LOVE the redneck mirror! I am going to add that one to my BC collection!

I have a lot of those free cds they send to try to get you to sign up for dial up. :D Note to self: must get better BC with pockets that remain shut...

About using CDs for signaling - the short version is "not very effective":
EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm) - SIGNALING GROUP

I carry a 3x5" mil spec Starflash mirror with a sighting hole. 6' Zeagle SMB on 50' spool, large Storm whistle (All-Weather Safety Whistle - loudest emergency whistles) in pocket and small Fox 40 whistle (Fox 40 International Inc.) on the inflator hose, UK 40 eLed back-up light on my right harness strap, fixed blade belt knife front and center on my waist strap, Spyderco Atlantic Salt folder and a slate clipped in my pocket.

I have a Glo-Toob lithium and a Jotrun strobe on my Xmas list. I may add a length of orange paracord to the Zeagle SMB bag. A pint of water and a hat/bandana for shade is on the list as well.

I'm a belt & suspenders kinda guy and am known for "over-dooing" it. But one of the main messages in survival training is, that the gear you didn't bring ain't gonna help you when you need it. :)

Henrik

I'll ante up...

In one pouch...Safety sausage on 7 meters of line, which is wrapped around a glow stick. To the sausage, I attached a whistle and a clip for attaching the sausage to my BC when inflated.
Elsewhere, I routinely carry two knives with highly reflective blades (one is blunt...I know, not optimum for reflection, but they are remarkably serviceable in a pinch). I also carry a camera on most dives (equipped with a strobe/flash), and I always have a backup light with me and carry a primary on night dives and those in murky water.

OK, you bunch of well equipped divers. Where do you carry all of your rescue gear?

I have managed to get everything into my BCD pockets, but they bulge out quite a bit. My dive buddies make fun of me every chance they get. :shakehead:

I've been thinking of putting everything in a tube that attaches to my BC or tank. Then I would get the use my pockets back (for even more junk). Has anyone put their kit in a tube? I would like to make one waterproof and neutrally buoyant.

carbon

Back
Top Bottom