Similan Islands versus Phi Phi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi there

This is a good plan.

i am in Thailand at the moment....dived Hin Daeng and Hin Muang yesterday...no mantas but lots of big , big waves and the trip from and back Ko Lanta took a full 10 hours. I have not met any divers who have seen lots of mantas recently, although the dive shops say that there have been loads this season. ko Haa was nice and at the end of three long cold dives at Phi Phi we saw a fabulous leopard shark.

Best fishes x

I hear customers all the time saying that Phi Phi is sensational and that the Similans has been dissapointing. Now for me Ive done hundreds of dives at Phi Phi and I think its generally good. But the visibility can be annoyingly short there. So perhaps for Europeans, they are used to not so good vis and accept it more readily than an Australian like myself
Ive only done one trip up to the Similans as I am more a fan of day trip diving, but it was absolutely amazing, and the visibility was fantastic as well.
So I guess I need to do a bit more Similan diving to make more of a comparison, but the one thing I hear from the customers is that Phi Phi has all the species they have seen at the Similans without the hassle of getting there (No mantas at Phi Phi that I have seen)

phi phi is just as good if not better diving than similans, but similans are remote desolate beautiful islands whereas phiphi is a crowded tourist trap with every dive shop you walk past hassling you.

Have to say I preferred the similans over Phi phi, bigger life and more although phi phi was still very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to do daytrips, I would seriously suggest that you consider Koh Lanta as your base instead of Phi Phi. It is closer to Koh Haa and Hin Daeng and Hin Mueang. I met a whale shark at Koh Haa the day before yesterday on a day trip with Scuba fish.
If at all possible, I would choose a liveaboard over daytrips any day. Scubacat offers 3-day liveaboards to the south out of Phuket. Easy and cheap to fly in and out of there so it saves you some travel time on island ferries.

Have a great trip!
Mikkel

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom