SingleDivers.com does Exuma Island, Bahamas and the Caribbean Explorer Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I haven't loaded the pics into SB's gallery yet, but the AOL slide show can be accessed here: AOL Pictures - View Share Warning: It's over 400 pics, so speed the show up to 1 pic per second maybe...?

[c]
Screen03lined.jpg

[/c]

First Mission: Getting there is half the fun, or problem - or both? A surprise ice storm hit my area around sundown the night before leaving streets and highways quite slick for the night. I never knew if the sand trucks bothered or if the surprised road crews just let it melt off in the morning as I had to be at an airport 70 miles away by 6:30 am Friday regardless - so I just left at 4 rather than 5 for a slow trip in. I was going in a day earlier than actually required to catch my boat but didn’t want to play that trump card yet - just might need it later…?

The regional airline ground crew had to launch a flight held over from the night before as well as mine at virtually the same time, and I was amazed at how comical that went down - just not something this minimal crew often does I don’t suppose, but we got out safely and not too late. Once away, my journey was pretty simple: sleep all the way to Houston, take a fast break in the clubroom then board again, sleep all the way to Ft. Lauderdale, take a long break in the clubroom there then board the little prop plane, sleep crossing the Gulf Stream and much of the Bahamas, grab bags, check-in with officials, cab to the hotel, done! I did eat half a subway sandwich packed for the trip somewhere in there, and I do have to take a stand on that hometown employee never touching my food again - she just ruins them, but I did okay with trail mix and clubroom snacks.

Our group was scheduled to sail Saturday on the M/V Caribbean Explorer with no other chances in the week to catch up to the boat if missed, so early on in the message board discussion I strongly encouraged my dive mates to arrive on Friday as I planned. This had always seemed the obviously prudent approach to me for anyone boarding a sailing vessel, and we had people flying in from several states, one Canadian Province and one country in Scotland so it seemed even more so the thing to do, just in case anything went badly. Our leader was busy leading other things when this trip fell into place so another member checked on the few hotels on the island - finding only one that did not require a 7 day minimum, so she booked all 8 rooms. I think we could have squeezed all 18 members in there, but at least 16 booked to arrive on Friday with the other two taking non-stop flights from nearby states on Saturday. The Scottish lass was going to do a few days in Florida and arrive Friday but she had to cancel long before the trip and her spot was filled from the waiting list.

Things did go wrong here and there, of course - but one late bag arrived on Saturday, the traveler from Canada trying to make it in one day finally arrived the second afternoon, and his long missing bag of scuba gear was eventually returned to his home. The boat furnished him with enough rental gear, and we sailed at high tide.

Sunday’s diving was nice, cooler than expected but fun, and we were going to do the first night dive after dinner until one of our incurred a medical emergency. We’ve been asked to not publicize info on this, but I can say the crew did great and the skipper probably would have done the impossible at getting the diver back to port if he had to, but for the nearby good neighbors yachters with a speed boat who came to the rescue. Of all the yachts around Exuma with little dingies, we were so lucky to have them so close and willing; the odds against that were significant, but we knew it was an extreme sport when we got our C-cards and passports.

Monday brought more nice diving, food, diving, food, diving, food, but we skipped that night dive as well to make San Salvador island for the New Years Eve fireworks - which went off at 11 pm? Never learned why? The island is officially on Eastern time but maybe the locals prefer nearby Puerto Rico time? Such happens in some border towns I know.

Tuesday found us diving off of San Salvador different spots throughout the day, and we finally got a night dive there even after the bad weather news. The skipper explained that a strong northwestern front was pushing in Wednesday afternoon and was going to make the seas ungodly for boats, totally undivable, and we had to run hide after the morning dives. We could hope for improvements in time, but such was the plan.

Wednesday we started with two dives at Shark Reef. This company does not chum the water for shark dives like some do, but we did form a circle around the usual feeding bucket to see if the sharks would swim by? Nah, they’re dumb, but not stupid - they know that boat doesn’t feed. Did have a couple of nice dives on the nearby reefs tho, and saw a few cruise by. Then it was lunch and back to safe harbor on Exuma. The onboard bar opened early.

Thursday and Friday were down days indeed: eat, drink, lounge, shop, edit pics, and a side trip to Stocking Island. A couple did find seats on departing planes, but most of us just made the best of each others company until Saturday’s departures. Sleep to Ft. Lauderdale, clear officials and take a clubroom break, sleep to Houston, a short clubroom break, sleep to Lubbock, then the last 70 miles home.

Some adventures are more fun that others, but I ain’t ready to quit yet…!!

Good report Don, sorry about the mishaps. Good pictures and glad you proved you were actually there. I will be on the boat in 72 hours. Hey Nicole and Walter... see you Saturday.

Bruce

Do say Howdy for me. They're a good crew, and while an old boat - I found it comfortable and should be better after a week off for maintenance. I know you're flying in non-stop on Saturday from our PMs. Two suggestions:
1-Impress on the check-in agent that you're catching a boat with no ports for a week and if you're bags are not there when you arrive, they are liable for a week long loss. Get Priority tags added. Then if they blow it, get approval before you leave the airport to spend money for needed items. I once bought $100 worth of new clothes per day for 4 days at airline expense that way, and the boat sells clothes.
2-Carry everything you can in your roll-on and back pack.

Good luck on the weather and diving! Take more cold protection than you expect to need.

I will tell them you said Hi. I am stressing a little about my dive bag. BC, fins, lights, wet suit and of course anything over 3.2 oz. I take a regional jet out of Atlanta which most likely uses the tarmac to board. I think I will keep an eye on the luggage department and make sure I see my bag loaded. Not sure what they would do if it wasn't there but at least once I see it I can relax for the flight in.
I did talk to the airlines a couple of days ago and asked them about priority tagging and she said there was no such thing and I would have to ship it ahead of time if I was concerned.

Not really worth worrying about, if needed I'm sure I could be fitted into a wet suit and Bc.
Will carry on computer, regs, masks and camera equipment. Will give you an update when I return.

Bruce

Yeah, you cannot handle that with the airline over the phone - only the ticket agent who does indeed have the power and authority to slap Priority tags on your bags. It's probly a very low risk for that non-stop Regional Jet, but it wouldn't hurt to stress to the ticket agent that you would not have a second chance at your bag for 6 days and suggest the Priority tags to prevent the airline from being liable for 6 days of clothing puchases, etc.

Even tho your bags will probly be fine, it's always good to carry as much as possible in roll-on and back-pack, cameras in the backpack tho as the roll-on will be gate checked still and I have seen cameras broken in them. My cameras, laptop, medicines, money and suck always go in my backpack which never leaves my body while traveling.

In the worst case, they boat does rent BCs & wetsuits and sells T-shirts.

thanks for the report and pics! Looks like a fun trip even with the bad weather.

You should really post your full report down on the Liveaboards Forum. There haven't been many reports on the Explorer boats.

So how do you rate your first liveaboard trip? Are you hooked yet?

:D

Thanks Robin. Double posting is a no-no. I might ask it be moved?

I've done a few liveaboards before, don't know what made you think this was my first? Did a weekend in Calf Channel Islands, once - it was great; did 3 days on the Flower Gardens this summer - great boat and super crew; did a Blackbeards once - that'll never happen again...!

Still, I'd rate this Explorer boat better than the others I have done, even tho it is their oldest and it was the week before major maintenance.

Hi Dandy Don-thanks for the report. We are leaving tonight for the same trip (Hi Bruce), and I am currently packing. What were the air and water temps like?

Hi Dandy Don-thanks for the report. We are leaving tonight for the same trip (Hi Bruce), and I am currently packing. What were the air and water temps like?
The nearby buoy had been suggesting 79F water for a week prior, but my computer recorded 72-77. Air temps were comfy, altho I didn't record those - probly around 80 usually. Chilling became more likely on the night/last dive of the day, of course, but while we only got to do one - the crew welcomed us back with pitchers of warm water to pour inside our suits and hot chocolate with or without Bailey's Irish Cream. Very nice touch.

Edit! The Straw Market with the local ladies and all their goods is interesting, but my favorite place for souveneirs was the nice little shop across from Peace and Plenty about one block from the straw market, maybe 2 blocks from the boat dock. There is also a nice shop of larger items very close to the boat dock, across the road from the market. The pay phones at the boat dock and market have been vandalized, wireless laptops can be used at dock to an extent and at the Peace and Plenty. You should have all of Friday afternoon for local sites.

Thanks Robin. Double posting is a no-no. I might ask it be moved?

I've done a few liveaboards before, don't know what made you think this was my first? Did a weekend in Calf Channel Islands, once - it was great; did 3 days on the Flower Gardens this summer - great boat and super crew; did a Blackbeards once - that'll never happen again...!

Still, I'd rate this Explorer boat better than the others I have done, even tho it is their oldest and it was the week before major maintenance.

I don't know why I thought this was your first liveaboard. :confused:
I don't think anyone would mind you posting the information over on the Liveaboard Forum too. Most people do it (including me).
Anyhow, it would be nice to see more liveaboard reports over there.

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom