Sinking Feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfrymus

Registered
Reaction score
I went out for a dive last week in a pool. I rented the gear, Im buying my own gear in about a months time.

I haven't done a freshwater dive before as Ive done all my training and diving in the ocean.
While swimming, I was okay. But, floating in one spot, I had issues.

One factor that I know probably played in this were my wights. I was probably too negatively buoyant. I'm about 165lbs, 5'8".
But, other than the weight issue, would there be any other factors that can contribute to this issue?

What about tank position? Or type of BCD - It was not a back inflate bcd.

cam band weight pocket (XS scuba) on the upper band with 2 lb works great for me. find some neutral buoyancy fins if you can.

Good ideas. Some have suggested attaching weights high up on the tank. Some people just have very negatively buoyant legs/feet. My 7 mil farmer john masks this (even with negative fins) enough for me that my horizontal trim is only minutely affected. With a thinner exposure suit I think there is more of a problem. But when I'm using the shorty I have no weight belt, so that balances out. Check out in the Going Pro sub forum "Float". Has to do with in the pool, but just in bathing suit. Interesting replies though.

Tank height: Make sure your tank is not too low. I follow the guideline that I should be able to reach back and conduct a flow check on the valve (head leaning back toward tank valve; elbow in toward side of head). If tank placed higher, should bring top part of body down.

Arms and legs. If foot heavy, check where you place your hands. Having them up and out in front will change your centre of gravity forward. Feet: how do you kick? A flutter kick, if legs stretched out, will shift centre of gravity toward feet. In contrast, a frog kick (or any kick), with knees bent at 90 degrees, will shift centre of gravity up toward your head.

Conduct a weight check with your (new gear) so you know if you have right amount. Then play with my suggestions and reku's and Snowdog61. (Xs scuba pockets on top camband worked for me. Had them on bottom camband too, which moves centre of gravity up relative to weights on a belt.

Ok cool :)
I was diving without a wetsuit, but i am moving towards a drysuit very soon. But, I wanted to make sure my counterweights were properly placed, so when I can properly balance myself in fresh/salt water, I should be able to adjust to a drysuit easier.

thanks

You need to think about your posture too. You can't just relax completely and let your knees drop. If you can get someone to shoot some video, we would have something to talk about.

All bets are off when you switch to a dry suit. You will need more lead; you may not be as feet heavy. Still useful practice to sort out your bouancy and trim now, without wetsuit/dry suit; then again once you get your dry suit. It takes some people one dive to sort out trim and others a handful or more. Not necessarily as easy as one would think but doable with practice.

foot heavy is the same as head light. Being overweighted (especially) in a jacket bcd will shift air towards your head and your big weightbelt is low so the teeter toter goes head up, feet down.

But, other than the weight issue, would there be any other factors that can contribute to this issue?

Home page - search articles - type in "horizontal trim" - top hit is NetDoc's article on the subject. With pictures, once they fix 'em. Explains it rather well.

Back
Top Bottom