Sipadan trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi there,

A standard package for Sipadan costs around S$1,600+ and this is the rate you will get from the LDS based here. I know some operators who can get it as cheap as S$1,300+ and some people I know actually squeeze it lower by taking the flight from Senai airport in JB instead of flying direct from Singapore. There is a transport from Sin - JB airport which leaves from a hotel in the morning i think. Heard that this cuts down the costs a great deal.

BTW, if u were at ADEX fair recently, you could actually sign up for a Sipadan dive trip for only around S$1,099+ (can't remember the exact figure), it was really really cheap but the promotional deal was only available for those who signed up at Adex....a friend signed up for this and he's going next month - will get the exact details from him....

Actually i heard that it's good to be based at Mabul, as you get exposed to many different types of diving - u get to dive Sipadan, Mabul and Kapalai all within a stone's throw from each other - there's big fish encounters at Sipadan and awesome muck diving at Mabul and Kapalai. Also, accommodation at Mabul is more comfortable - have you seen Water Village?? it's really lovely and my friends gave it a thumbs up.

BTW, diving in Sipadan during the "best" season is not always a guarantee. Another friend who just came back from Sipadan last month (June) complained that it was crappy viz, and all the pelagics were missing in action....so it really depends on your luck....seems that the trip was a major disappointment, esp since it's supposed to be the right season....

Zept - if you dont mind revealing - where did you book your trip from? the package seems overly expensive, the priciest i've seen is about S$1,800 but never anything more than that. Did you take first class flight or something like that??? :wink:

I booked my trip through Marsden Bros. Even they would admit that there are cheaper options.

Adding a couple of extra days to the basic package pushed the price up quite a lot, I'm not sure why.

For me, it was worth spending the extra to stay on the island. I get seasick, so never having to spend more than a few minutes travelling to the dive sites was a major, major attraction. In some ways it was like being on a liveaboard, but without all the rocking and rolling. Diving on the Drop-off at night was amazing. Being able to do shore dives on it at any time of day was pretty cool, too.

Another time I might spend a few days on Sipadan and then a couple on Mabul, because the diving there sounds really interesting.

Have to second what you said about the weather, ADG. There was a big storm on my last night and the next morning the vis was rubbish. I'd still choose to go in the dry season, though... you aren't guaranteed good weather, but I think it's more likely.

Zept

I get seasick really easily but have found that the less drowsy dramamine really worked for me. I was on a liveaboard for 3 days and took 2 less drowsy dramamine and was fine the whole time. I still use the original formula dramamine when I want to be knocked out on intercontinental flights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom