SJCam Confusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is real 1080 at 60 frames. Video looks great. I have had both GoPro and SJCam in the past. I bought the CX Gold for $299.00 CAN and it came with the waterproof housing. I also bought an extra battery for $25.00 CAN. It's price puts it quite in the middle of the two, but it's quality and performance are close to a high-end Hero. Quite sure the CX model includes the waterproof housing too. The SJ4000 is junk in my opinion.

Last edited:
Looks like a pretty decent camera, the CX seems to be what I want in terms of budget, I am no pro videographer just want something to record my underwater experience. Also I can't find any of the warranty info that it advertises.

I'll be a brand new diver with one of these, what would you say is the best way of mounting this? I was thinking the wrist mount as long as I keep my hands in front of me.

I am not a pro videographer either. Just want some pictures and videos of cool things during my vacation dive holidays. You may however find that the more that you do it, the equipment that you use really makes a difference is how lasting the results will be. A little goes a long way. Really good buoyancy control helps more than anything.

Choosing a CX or CX Gold over an SJ4000 seems like a no-brainer to me now having used cameras from both companies.

A GoPole is a decent way to hold a camera without lights.

Last edited:
Looking it all over this morning, I get a far less sketchy feeling from the company, thanks for telling me about the brand, I wouldn't have known about it otherwise!

And I read about a lot of people dropping their camera which is why I initially wanted something cheap... but why don't we all just tie it to our wrist with string? Like a redundant safety? It wouldn't get in the way would it, I am just a bit paranoid myself lol

I am not a pro videographer either. Just want some pictures and videos of cool things during my vacation dive holidays. You may however find that the more that you do it, the equipment that you use really makes a difference is how lasting the results will be. A little goes a long way. Really good buoyancy control helps more than anything.

Choosing a CX or CX Gold over an SJ4000 seems like a no-brainer to me now having used cameras from both companies.

A GoPole is a decent way to hold a camera without lights.

You still kind of miss my point.

I do not care enough about video to spend any "real" money on it - especially when I already have a GoPro.

You still kind of miss my point.

I do not care enough about video to spend any "real" money on it - especially when I already have a GoPro.

I was not replying to you. I was speaking with Slym (previous 5 posts in this thread)

Last edited:
No camera warranty will cover scuba diving. It would involve the user not making any errors in buttoning up the housing, or protracted debates about who's at fault. Both sights look legit to me. I bought mine from an e-bay dealer for the right now price. You need to look at their dealer ratings. 10k of buyers and a high rating means they are honest.

Read reviews by real camera geeks about the capabilities of the camera. The SJcam SJ4000 I bought last summer has 60 fps, but it really is just 2 copies of the 30 fps image. Image stabilization is only in camera mode. I was aware of both these things and was fine with it at purchase because I realize for $90 I am not getting perfect prograde action camera. I can use my GoPro mounts and if it floods I will chuck it and buy another. Other threads suggest solutions that others have had with their cameras, like occasional shutdowns at depths.

If you are looking for a new toy and don't want to go down an endless rabbit hole of expenses the SJcams are not bad, just keep your expectations reasonable.

you can buy a Sj cam direct from them .. on their website sjcam.com.... there is also a authorized sjcam seller on ebay .... the Hd site is bogus

Back
Top Bottom