Skip next day's dives if computer battery dies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sirto:
Looking at the dive table for repetitive dives you find that the residual nitrogen time for group A ranges from 3 minutes to 7 minutes. So, couldn't you dive on the following day using your computer and just adjust for this RNT?

I'm just trying to understand the logic for skipping the next day.

If you can reconstruct your dives and run them on a table then your solution should be OK. Problem arises when you try that and the table say you had a deco obligation. Theoretically, that puts you in an unknown situation and a 24 hr break is the "known safe" course of action.

However, if it happens to me, I plan to do just as you suggested. Well, I do carry a spare computer which normally stays on the surface. If BAT warning comes on, I then take it with me. I the failing computer lasts the rest of the day, I just go directly to my backup.

teknitroxdiver:
I would not skip an entire day. I would simply extend the surface interval a little, and then plan the next dive using the repetitive dive tables, and then reduce whatever max bottom time the tables give you to add an extra margin of safety.
My plan is similar, but if you play around with some typical rec dive profiles in V-planner, GAP or any other deco program, you will find that extending your ascent and 15' hang times is a good alternative to extending SIs or reducing bottom times.

To use other words, my dead computer plan is to do the rest of the dives that day very conservatively, with most of the additional conservatism being added through extended 15' hang time.

Charlie

After I dove awile, I began to upgrade some of my equipment including computers. My original cheaper computer goes in my BC pocket. If the battery on my main goes down I just use the spare the next day. I read somewhere once that if you don't need it don't take it but if you need it take two.

Mark Vlahos:
As I indicated I am not intimately familiar with the battery changing procedures on other computers, there may be others that allow you to replace low but still servicable batteries in the middle of an extended string of dives without loosing residual nitrogen information.

With the Aeris Atmos 2 you have 8 seconds. Gotta be quick...

Sirto:
Here's a senario I'd like some info on.

If I were on a multi-day, multi dive/day trip and my computer battery died what do I need to do (yes, I know, change the battery).

I think I have seen people indicate that you'd need to take a full 24 hours off to degass before starting to dive again with the computer. I can understand skipping any more dives that you would have done that day, however, let's assume it died after the last dive of the day (say 3 pm). By looking at the dive tables for surface interval I see that a 9+ hr SI will get you down to letter group A regardless of where you were at the start of the SI.

Looking at the dive table for repetitive dives you find that the residual nitrogen time for group A ranges from 3 minutes to 7 minutes. So, couldn't you dive on the following day using your computer and just adjust for this RNT?

I'm just trying to understand the logic for skipping the next day.

Under those circumstances, I'd replace the battery, rent another computer and dive very conservatively with it the next day, then return to using my own subsequently. If I couldn't replace the battery, I'd just continue using the rental unit. If I couldn't rent one, I'd dive the tables. Whether or not you're comfortable with doing that is your call.

Several things to consider, how aggressive were the dives you did? Were you at the edge of the computer and or tables on your dives? How many dives have you done so far? What condition and age are you?

If it is day two and you did just two easy and early dives on the first day your "slate" should be clean BUT if you are doing a liveaboard and it is day four or five with four dives per day I might think about sitting a little bit.

Of course, planning ahead and making sure the gear is in good order before the trip is a smart move. Also, having spare O-rings and battery is good insurance.

Uncle Pug:
If my computer battery dies I just... hmm... never mind...

Oh please let me finish that for you:

Keep diving! :11:

Back
Top Bottom