Sky chick heading under

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate to double post, but:

The warning says that above 10,000 go to:
http://www.navsea.navy.mil/NAVINST/05450-027G.pdf Which says, (if I have it right) that you are pretty much on your own...

read 9-13:
http://www.s297830378.onlinehome.us/usn/Chap09.pdf Which says, if I have it right, that you should wait 48 hours for exceptional exposure. Remember that these tables are for Navy divers. My take: for your altitudes, two days does not provide enough of a comfort factor for me.

Useless information? May want to consider this if on vacation: Haleakala National Park

Look at that chart. See the designators along the left side? Those are repetitive diving groups and represent the amount of nitrogen in your system. If you were in Group N and did two hours of surface breathing 100% oxygen that would drop you to Group A. Not that this is something I'd do routinely, but it is a technique that I've used when I had no choice but to dive and fly soon after.

Look at that chart. See the designators along the left side? Those are repetitive diving groups and represent the amount of nitrogen in your system. If you were in Group N and did two hours of surface breathing 100% oxygen that would drop you to Group A. Not that this is something I'd do routinely, but it is a technique that I've used when I had no choice but to dive and fly soon after.

Yes with an 8,000 foot cabin pressure I can see that, but this is what concerns me:

........Does the time needed between the dive and jump alter when going to a higher altitude say like 23,000agl? ..............

Iowa being between 500 to 1670 feet above sea level to start with. In round numbers that's almost 25,000 ft above sea level. I won't be the one to say that a two day SI is sufficient. (but it probably is)

I'd be comfortable with 48 hrs, that would give even a tissue as slow as 8 hours 6 half times to offgass.

I have to agree with mr. lowviz in the high alt. If you are a skydiver going for a high alt jump-48 hours does not seem to be enough time to make it as safe as possible. Breathing O2 then jumping would be pushing it but breathing O2 then breathing more O2 at 15000 to alt seems like a much higher risk. And The dz I am located at is at about 1500 msl but I was thinking more so to plan a trip to another country. I think I'd also want to take that into consideration as well.

I think it quite odd though that more people who skydive and SCUBA haven't thought about this. I know I am not the only jumper/diver out there. As a side note I called DAN and they said 24 hours...

48 hours should be more than enough. If your gonna scuba then sky, I recommend short deep dives rather than long shallow ones.

Oxygen is always good, best under pressure, excellent at sea level, can't hurt at altitude.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom