sky/scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skip the HK, they a trip to teh factory to be reloaded, a APC ( APS underwater assault rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) would work as well, and likly be cheaper.

i would think most skydiveing places are going keep there DZ as far from large bodies of water as they can. getting tangles in the risers and canopy are a real hazard in a water landing.

this is actually a requirement for your B license for the USPA. Used to be to land in water and swim out from under your canopy. Now they put you in the water and throw the canopy over you.

US Coast Guard Rescue Divers Not so much parachute as helo insertion
USAF Pararescue PJs
USAF Tactical Air Control Party
Navy Seals
USMC Recon
USN Corpsmen
Rangers (some)
Delta
And lots of other members of all the Military Services get selected for the training.

My son was interested in PJ/TACP when he first hit high school so I started him in the training routine to prep him for the qualification process. After 3 months of in the gym daily, in the pool at least 2 hours, martial arts, etc. he said he had had enough.

He is now a US Army Engineer north of Baghdad right now.

I've logged just over 600 jumps and just under 150 scuba dives. I haven't jumped in about 10 years but might be able to help answer your question.

Assuming you are looking at doing this as a sport.

Skydiving and Scuba don't really work well together, not that it's impossible but why would you want to? The gear you would need to carry with you to scuba following a jump would not only be heavy and cumbersome but could cause an entanglement. I'm sure that this could be done safely but you would need to be an experienced jumper to pull it off.

The other side of this is the cost of your gear. When you figure you can easily drop a couple of grand just in a main canopy and a few thousand more in a container and reserve you might want to rethink if you want to dunk all of that in the water. Back in the day we did a few water jumps which are a lot of fun but cleaning, drying and a reserve repack is a pain. I would far rather make a jump, trash pack my main and get on the next load.

Mixing skydiving and scuba diving together is a kin to mixing snow skiing and fishing together. Can you do it? I guess so, but why would you want to?

I parachuted into the ocean when I was in the Navy. (Didn't go scuba diving afterwards, though, I just waited for the helicopter to pick me up.)

There is significant danger in getting entagled in your parachute upon landing. In fact, we spent a lot of time during flight school learning how to get avoid entanglement, and how to extract yourself if you were entangled.

There are also a lot of problems associated in landing in water if there is a stiff breeze.

Given the state of legal liability in the USA, I wouldn't expect to see this sort of combination (skydive/scuba) anywhere in the USA. Maybe in third World countries, but not here.

I don't think the Op was looking to dodge bullets on the way down.
Those guys are usually doing that sort of thing unbeknownst and unannounced to the bad guys. It's usually the SI that sucks. :wink:

+1 on the entanglement..........I don't skydive, but the people I know who do love it. Actually, there is an airport right behind my home. There are people jumping on a daily basis.

Personally, I wouldn't want to jump out of a perfectly running aircraft. Let alone into water to do a dive. What a giant stride! If the aircraft is burning, I would be the first one out with a chute on. If not, I enjoy a good landing...........or controlled crash, however you look at it.

I hope you get the chance to do it if that's what you want. Fall & dive safe.

does sounds like something fun for the adrenaline junkies, maybe jump into a shark feeding frenzie lol, im scared of heights tho so no jumping for me, ill stick to the diving part :)

I parachuted into the ocean when I was in the Navy. (Didn't go scuba diving afterwards, though, I just waited for the helicopter to pick me up.)

There is significant danger in getting entagled in your parachute upon landing. In fact, we spent a lot of time during flight school learning how to get avoid entanglement, and how to extract yourself if you were entangled.

There are also a lot of problems associated in landing in water if there is a stiff breeze.

Given the state of legal liability in the USA, I wouldn't expect to see this sort of combination (skydive/scuba) anywhere in the USA. Maybe in third World countries, but not here.

Skydiving into a body of water is not really that much training doing it hollywood style. At your 1000 AGL approach, remove your chest harness and loosen your leg loops. Flare at 10-13 feet, take a deep breath of air before hitting the water. Hit the water in the PLF position. Shed your harness and swim out from under your canopy. If you become intangled, swim to the surface (under the canopy if needed) and take another breath of air (the canopy is nothing but ripstop nylon and you can breath through it) and attempt to go under and make another attempt to swim out from the canopy. If you are out a ways, and are free from you canopy, you can make a float out of a ram air canopy to stay afloat until help arrives.

If there is a "stiff breeze" at 300 feet AGL, TURN INTO THE WIND. That'll slow ya down

And it isnt really that hard to dry your rig out. 3/4" pipe that is 20' long. Hang and dry for a day to day and a half.

I dont believe that any of our military are doing water landings in open circuits. You just cant arch with a tank on your back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom