Skydiving or SCUBA Which is safer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, my view is that scuba involves nice, solid things like brass, chrome, steel, rubber, lead and so on.

Yeah, and in parachute jumping the ground is a nice solid thing filled with dirt, rocks, and trees. You also hit them pretty hard when you are jumping a T-10B instead of those fancy square chutes.

I have a USPA D (Master Parachutist) License and presently a Rescue Cert. diver.

I'd say that skydiving is safer.

Military jumps should not be compared to skydiving. Military airborne ops are to put the men (and women) and equipment on the ground as fast as possible with a reasonable amount of safety. The equipment and procedures are entirely different from skydiving. The only thing they have in common is the use of a parachute (and these are way different) and parachute landing falls (PLF) (taught in skydiving but most likely never used)

SNUBA and Snorkeling are not the same as SCUBA, but they all have some similarities.

there are more hazards with SCUBA than skydiving.

luckily, they're both pretty much self regulating with the focus on safety for all participants.

You're comparing experienced divers to novice skydivers. New untrained skydivers often have to jump tandem, just as new untrained divers often have to dive under the guidance of an instructor. Experienced divers might take up cave diving, or deep wrecks, but it's not that much different from experienced skydivers using smaller chutes, doing HALO jumps, etc.
You interpreted my post incorrectly.

The first paragraph was referring to the argument that scuba is probably more dangerous when you start out but safer later on, and I was stating this probably isn't the case since the diving gets more difficult as you gain experience (or seems to for most people).

The second was a reply in agreement that skydiving is probably a bit safer when you're starting out.

The two weren't meant to be taken together as a comparison.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom