Slipstream/Jet fin in OW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to know how these bad boys (jets, slipstreams, turtles, etc.) work in OW with current?

Personally, I can't think of other fins that could do it better than the Jets. Love mine.

Treat yourself with a pair of spring straps. They make the Jets more lovely.

Have been very pleased with Slipstreams. If you have heavy feet this is the way to go - they are lighter than the Jets, but same design, and they work just fine in open water.

I've been diving US Divers Rockets & Scubapro Jet Fins my entire life. Well, since 1972. YMMV, LOL

US Divers Rocket fins tried to look similar to the Scubapro Jet, but most people will tell you that there is no comparison. IMHO, the Rocket fins were a poor imitation and they came later than the Jets fins. US divers was trying to catch up.

The interesting thing is that the Jet fin design was developed in France (by a designer at the company that eventually became Beuchat) and the fin was first offered to US Divers. But, US Divers was in the middle of a different fin project called The Caravelle (I think that was the name). This fin had a detachable blade from the fin booties so that the diver could walked easily. As we can tell that fin never made it and US Divers made a very bad decision.

I just tossed a pair of fins from my last dive and dug around in the garage to find the US Divers Jetfins this last weekend to put some new straps on them.

Scubapro bought all the patent rights at that time. So there have never been a US Divers Jet fin.

Note: The company Beuchat was founded under the name Tarzan-Espadon and manufactured snorkeling Equipment. The revolutionary fin Jet-Fin was made by them. My understanding is that they had to change the name because the name Tarzan was a registered name at Hollywood.

Again my understanding is that J.Y. Cousteau was very unhappy about the Jet fin business transaction. Cousteau himself and the Calypso divers were using Scubapro Jet fins (as it was the preferred fin) even though JYC was the chairman of the board at US Divers.

Ryan or Sam can probably shed more light (or correct any mistakes) on the early dealings of the Jet fin.

My wife still dives her Mini Rockets (sometimes) and I still have my old pair in good shape but frankly they simply don't perform on par with the Jet Fin XL, aka Super Jet. The Jet Fin XL is longer by a bunch and more flexible. The Rocket more compares to the Jet Fin L but even then the Jet is the better fin, more flexible and just seems to work better. Both Jets and Rockets swim just as good if not better with the vents taped shut. I have done various swimming trials with them and other fins and that is what I think. N

Just picked up a pair of Slip Streams last week. Only got 1 dive on them so far but they felt good.

Is it correct that Beuchat produced at one time a full-foot version of the Jet Fin? Has anyone ever seen a pair of these?

Yes they did, but it might have been under the previous name, Tarzan-Espadon.
I have at least seen pictures of them, but I also think that Ryan has a pair of them. I am not sure. You could contact Ryan at Flashback Scuba: Simply Adventure. Actually you should check out his web site he has a great Cousteau online museum and other equipment, including a Mentor.

I posted this in another thread a few hours ago. I suppose I'll post it again...

1: Sell old fins on Ebay.
2: Buy new ScubaPro Jetfins.
3: Learn how to properly frog kick.
4: Profit.

I have tried a few other fins, but I just can't seem to see that they really work any better than Jets. Guess that's where I'm stuck now, LOL

Spits just drive me nuts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom