SM Wing -- Characteristics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings Dive-aholic "Rob" I am interested in the Hollis SMS 100 as well.
Have you had the opportunity to play with one?
I have looked at it in pictures on line but not in my hands as of yet.
If you get one to experiment with please share your findings.
I will try to get one in my hands and ponder the same.

Safe diving all,
CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

Yes, I have had one in the water. I have several issues with the out of the box version regarding design characteristics that don't work for me and my diving. Some of them can be corrected, however, the modifications do require some work and additional money spent. Others cannot be corrected. Most of my issues are with the harness.

Yes, I have had one in the water. I have several issues with the out of the box version regarding design characteristics that don't work for me and my diving. Some of them can be corrected, however, the modifications do require some work and additional money spent. Others cannot be corrected. Most of my issues are with the harness.

Rob,

With the Hollis SMS relatively new in market and since I am not in cave country I haven't come across that many. I am interested in your thoughts on the issues/modifications that you would consider on the Hollis SMS rig?

Thanks

The modifiable issues -

The shoulder harness routing isn't conducive to those of us who mount backup lights on the shoulder straps. The webbing routes to the back of the harness like in a Hogarthian style BP/W rather than to the waist belt. This causes my backup lights to be trapped under my cylinders and deployment very difficult. I carry enough other stuff in my pockets so my lights have to be there. The webbing can be cut and sewn into the waist strap if you know someone with an industrial sewing machine.

The webbing on the harness is thin and too flexible, not providing enough stability, especially when staging. You can cut part of the webbing off and use belt slides or have better webbing sewn into it.

There are no fixed d-rings on the shoulder webbing. Fixed d-rings help make it easier to clip your reg off when swapping to the bungeed reg. Easy fix, but why not just include a fixed ring?

The corrugated LP hose is too stiff making it difficult to stretch after relocating it to the butt dump location. This makes it difficult to orally inflate with it in that position. It can be replaced with a Dive Rite corrugated LP hose or other longer corrugated LP hose.

Not modifiable issues -

Part of the shoulder webbing is sewn into the shoulder pads. So there's no way to strengthen the webbing by doubling it up.

The shoulder pads are sewn into the back "plate" portion of the harness.

The butt plate is incorporated into the back "plate" portion of the harness. It's a close race right now between my wing and my butt plate on which will need to be replaced first. With the Hollis style harness, the entire harness would need to be replaced.

The bars on the butt plate are too close together. They can be moved to a different location but even at the farthest point, they are still too close. This makes it difficult for me to reach back and clip the bottom of my cylinders to them. And flexibility is not a problem for me. I can do proper valve shut down drills without any struggle.

These are issues I see in this rig for me. But I've always used heavy duty webbing, even when I was diving backmount in a BP/W. My original webbing from my BP/W is still on my old back plate after 400+ dives on it. I still use it on occasion and also have students and other divers use it. It's unlikely I'll ever have to replace it. I don't see that being the case with the webbing Hollis uses. I also like a very modular rig that allows me to replace individual components when needed considering the abuse my gear sees on the dives I do.

Rob,

Now I have to go home and stare at my harness and decide what I can and can't live with...

LOL....and they say it never hurts to ask, right?

That's what I like about Rob....quick, concise answers that are straight to the point in a non-combative style. I've had a few good conversations via PM with him and plan on heading to Marianna for a few classes next year, and then more the following years.

No offense intended, Bartimmo....but after reading that, I'm just glad I bought a Nomad. :D

So what's the advantage of that wing over the Nomad aside from the 360 instead of horseshoe?

I haven't said there's an advantage. I'm still undecided on the wing. I need to get the SMS100 in the water a few more times to determine how I feel about the wing. Then I may also pull the wing and combine it with my Transpac to see how I like it in that combination. It will probably be a month or so before all that happens.

Bartimmo:
Now I have to go home and stare at my harness and decide what I can and can't live with...

Just remember, it's an individual thing. My issues may not be issues for you or anyone else choosing the SMS100.

Yes, if there is one thing I have taken away from the research I've been doing, and from Jill and Brian's book, it's that there is no "one size fits all" for sidemount setups. Your mileage may definitely vary . . .

Yes, if there is one thing I have taken away from the research I've been doing, and from Jill and Brian's book, it's that there is no "one size fits all" for sidemount setups. Your mileage may definitely vary . . .

I agree completely and I've read the book too. My choosing the Nomad versus any of the others was a combination of "tried and true" and following what some of the more well known SM divers are using. That and the few SM divers I know around these parts all dive Nomads. I also like the fact that Dive Rite generally follows a pattern of making their equipment highly adaptable.

I looked at the Hollis, but it was simply too new for me and I am too new to SM for it. :wink:

I also like a very modular rig that allows me to replace individual components when needed considering the abuse my gear sees on the dives I do.

What modular rigs are currently on the market? My local dive shop has a Nomad EXP in stock ... but it's all one piece. When I asked about a modular rig (e.g. the "original" Nomad) he said they don't make those anymore.

Sidemount rigs aren't very common up here ... it'd be nice to be able to actually see and handle one because pictures and descriptions don't really tell the whole story ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom