SM Wing -- Characteristics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob, They don't make the 50lb lift original Nomad, but Dive Rite does make 2 modular versions - the 60lb lift Nomad and the XT (more durable material for the wing's outer shell). Those are the only completely modular rigs on the market. All the others I've seen - Armadillo, SMS100, Recon - have single piece harness and buttplate.

What modular rigs are currently on the market? My local dive shop has a Nomad EXP in stock ... but it's all one piece. When I asked about a modular rig (e.g. the "original" Nomad) he said they don't make those anymore.

Sidemount rigs aren't very common up here ... it'd be nice to be able to actually see and handle one because pictures and descriptions don't really tell the whole story ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, this is the XT that Rob is talking about:

SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Nomad XT Sidemount Rig

And they definitely still make it because I bought one two months ago and my LDS called Dive-Rite to discuss sizing and the order before placing it.

Ya, I bought the normal modular one in May from Cave Adventurers, so they're still making them. They may be trying to push the EXP and I got similar answers from my LDS's, but was adamant about the modular one.

Ya, I bought the normal modular one in May from Cave Adventurers, so they're still making them. They may be trying to push the EXP and I got similar answers from my LDS's, but was adamant about the modular one.

That's interesting, at my LDS it was the exact opposite. I went in not really knowing what to look for other than wanting to see a Nomad and I asked the owner, who happens to be one of the side mount instructors listed on Dive-Rite's website, about the EXP and he told me that he would sell one to me if I really wanted one, but he didn't recommend it for the exact reason that it isn't a modular system. He then took plenty of time to answer my questions and expound on how much he loves SM for both cave and open water dives as well as much "fun" he's had getting dive boats to let him SM, etc. But that's another story and off the specific topic. :)

Anyway, I bought mine that day.

Speaking of modularity, that is a why I like the Razor harness. In Mexico, I dive with drysuit for inflation. In Monterey, I add a CamelBak. The harness stays constant, but add appropriate BC for the environment/dive. Similar strategy as bp/wing.

I'm looking forward to trying the UTD Trim device as well as Bogaert's BAT wings. But I've seen pictures of others using the SMS 100 wing with a Razor harness, and others diving it with a regular old BC.

Don, when I'm diving my LP85s with a deco bottle in Puget Sound, my 40 lb wing seems to be pretty close to the minimum safe amount . . . do you have any idea how much lift your camelback has? Would it be sufficient in the event of a dry suit flood? This is the kind of thing that worries me.

My CamelBak provides 6#s of lift, and not something I'd recommend for deco dives. But there are larger bags and wings that can provide the lift you need.

Don, when I'm diving my LP85s with a deco bottle in Puget Sound, my 40 lb wing seems to be pretty close to the minimum safe amount . . . do you have any idea how much lift your camelback has? Would it be sufficient in the event of a dry suit flood? This is the kind of thing that worries me.

Back
Top Bottom