Small Boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many carriers issue insurance for watercraft. Some have special requirements such as survey, generally if the boat is more than 10 years old. Try BOAT US.

http://www.boatus.com

You're welcome.

Your outboard runabout should make a good learner boat for nice days in the San Juan's, Kate. Don't try to turn it into the ultimate yacht, or anything that it's not, but rather find out what's needed to get the hull tight and rot free, and the propulsion dependable.

Be sure that you don't spend more on the fixup than it would cost to replace it with something better.

As for diving, all you need to get going in addition to your safety gear is a dive flag and an inexpensive ladder if the boat doesn't have any stern platform. Save the bells & whistles (except the one mandated by the CG) for later.

As for experience, start slow, take it out a little ways on calm, severe clear days and slowly learn your way around. Buy a chart book and figure out which way the buoys and day markers mark the channels. Learn about the currents. There are lots of places in the San Juans where you must pass on the correct side of buoys or you will find the bottom. I know that there are classes, especially this time of year, given by the local power squadrons. Check the board at your local marina, or at West Marine in Seattle or Anacortes. I'm not sure where you are, but my friends at Island Marine on Lopez are pretty fair and helpful.

The San Juans are one of the best places for small boating on earth. I wish our waters and facilities were 1/10 as friendly, though we have pretty good diving and beaching.

I'm off to beg the State Boating Harbor Officer at Maalaea to allow me an additional month in a temporary slip at double the normal rate, since there is a 12 year waiting list for permanent slips on Maui.

Aloha,

Jonathan
kalepa@maui.net

Aloha Jonathan,

How was the dive off Olawahu? Are you going to have your captain's license by the time I get there in September?

It appears that the harbors are having as much problem as land property - no vacancies!!

You're right, Socal, the Harbors division has the same problem as the State Land Division, bad planning! Our paradise is turning into gridlock.

Still better than most, though...

Had a great time at Olowalu. Went out for a bit over 2 hours with my friend Ken, and noodled around the reef. Ended up about 3/4 mile offshore. Helen, my wife, paddled a kayak out so we got to surface and hang off the kayak and talk story every once in a while. Norm, who manages & lives at Camp Pecusa, snorkled out & free dove (he has a 4 minute breathold and was a brilliant spearfisherman till he got siguatera for the 3rd time & gave up reef fish) along with his golden retriever, so it was party time offshore. Ken & I never got below 30 feet; it was just a fun afternoon and a great workout cause we covered a lot of territory on the bottom (about an hour 20 on my HP 100) and on the surface.

I should have my ticket in July if I can get the documentation on the Bertram I used to own in New York, cause I need the days on the water.

Best Aloha,

Jonathan

Thanks for your thoughts Jonathan! Believe me... I don't harbor any illusions of grandeur about this project. The BEST I can hope for is to make it float and run reliably. Everything after that is Frosting!

When I was a kid we did a lot of boating & camping in the san juans & I'd really like to get back into it. I will definately take the power squadron class if this works out and I have a friend who I hope will show me the ropes.

Lopez Island is one of my favorite places. We dove frost island off the end of of Spencer Spit last month. Two foot viz that day, but I'll go back to try it again.

-kate

ps
Let me know if you have a line on parts for a 1986 evinrude 110hp motor :)

Originally posted by scubakat
Thanks for your thoughts Jonathan! Believe me... I don't harbor any illusions of grandeur about this project. The BEST I can hope for is to make it float and run reliably. Everything after that is Frosting!

Well alas it is not to be... I had it looked at yesterday and the guy's exact words were "Do not put that thing in the water if you value your life." Turns out that its biggest problem is a huge crack in the transom. It looks like one or two good jolts would take the motor off.

He DID get it to start, which surprised me, but it needs a new lower unit & probably other major work. So now I get to figure out how to get rid of the hull...

How did it go with the harbormaster Jonathan? Did he let you keep your slip?

-kate

Well Kate, you did the right thing in getting the boat assessed before committing to it. Let that one go.

This gives you the opportunity to embark on one of the two happiest experiences in boating: aquiring a boat. (the other is when you have sold it and you are standing on the dock with the check and the sucker is out in the channel with the boat going in circles and already has the engine box open...)

There are thousands of inexpensive, off-brand but decent boats between Seattle & Bellingham. I bet you could find a nice one needing some cosmetic work for less than what you might have sunk into the yacht of death.

Harbormaster is still not answering calls, and I fly to DC tonight, and I really don't want to go through the humbug of pulling my boat today.

Aloha,

JOnathan

Aloha Jonathan,

Isn't the harbor master at the harbor in Kihei? Can't remember the name of it. I would jump in my buggy and pay them a personal, you aren't that far away. Need that status you know :tease:

BTW, I was reading there is an algae problem in West Maui, is that having any affect on the diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom