Small Bright and bombproof

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RAN

Registered
Reaction score
Heya
as the title suggests i'm looking for a small bright and bombproof light with decent burntime..Night dives ,poking around reefs and lobster hunting will spend 200 or so but naturally prefer to spend less
Thanx in advance

How small? How much burn time? Check out the Underwater Kinetics SL4.

jonnythan:

The SL4 is too tightly focused, IMO, to make a good primary light unless the water is perfectly clear. It makes a good backup light, though. UK makes other good primary lights, like the D4R, but they're larger. The Beaver Astro Lamp might be what you're looking for. Suunto also makes (or markets) a couple of pretty ok primary lights but the burn times are a little shorter.

R..

RAN:
Heya
as the title suggests i'm looking for a small bright and bombproof light with decent burntime..Night dives ,poking around reefs and lobster hunting will spend 200 or so but naturally prefer to spend less
Thanx in advance
hey there, i have heard mixed reviews on the uk sl4 but i just bought one on the recomindations of a dive shop owner and 2 dive masters ( all 3 of them say it is there primary light) . it seems very bright and bomb proof. most of the smaller uks are built that way, i had one of the short ones (cant remember witch one) on my fire hellmet for a few fires and it was beat to hell but it still as bright and reliable as the day i bought it. needless to say i like uk but i also respect the other opions on this site. the hid lights are awsome when they work, a very bright pure white light, one of my dive buddies has the 100 series, but it has a tendency not to light up when he needs it. the bulbs are very expensive and i have heard rumors that they have flooded from time to time and that is a expensive light to flood. prinstons can flood also. pelicans are sturdy lights but can eat through batteries in a hurry (again from what i have been told). the best thing i can tell you to is what you are allready doing, get as much info as you can and make a informed decision.. good luck

I had a Pelican Sabrelite, I cut off the clip and used it as my primary light. It was IMHO on new batterys was just as bright as a light cannon and they were bomb proff. However its a we-bit bigger then I had hoped and it does eat though batterys after about 5 to 8 dives depending on your dive time. I'm thinking he wants something smaller.

Just a shot, our lights are fairly new and we've had some great feedback on them. Our SL50 Sport Lights uses 50W Halogen bulbs and has a 45 minute burntime. They're very bright (approx. 945 lumens) and produce a nice white 4700k color temperature. All our products use full aluminum housings (6061 Grade) and are very durable, (we even hit them with bats while turned on) and they've managed to handle the stress.

Our website shows MSRP ($330), but we offer attractive specials to dive instructors/masters, and have a few demo units available for purchase.

Anyhow, good luck on your search, and if you're interested, stop by our website: http://www.nocturnallights.com.

Thanks,

jonnythan:

While I agree that the SL4 is a great compact light, as Diver0001 said, it's a little too "tightly focussed" to double as a primary for night dives.

I use one of the larger UKs for night dives with the SL4 in my BC pocket as a back up & daytime-under-rock light.

Ran, to be honest, you may not find a light that will do all the things you want for the price range you set.

SubMariner:
While I agree that the SL4 is a great compact light, as Diver0001 said, it's a little too "tightly focussed" to double as a primary for night dives.

I use one of the larger UKs for night dives with the SL4 in my BC pocket as a back up & daytime-under-rock light.

Ran, to be honest, you may not find a light that will do all the things you want for the price range you set.

The PrincetonTec Surge has a nice broad illumination. Bombproofness is where it might lose points; I have yet to have any trouble, but an argument could be made that it's not quite as bombproof as an SL4.

Back
Top Bottom