Small Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point. My problem with slung bottles is that it really gets in the way of the photography, specially during macro shooting.

"how did you get the spacing accurate?"

Use a ruler. You need to be careful with spacing, but microns are not critical. If you're within 1/8 of an inch you'll be fine. I posted directions with photographs here some time ago.

Hardly a gold mine because like anything, when you homebuild it you are just spending your labor rather than your money. If you try to start doing it commercially, then you got to start pricing that labor and the bargain largely evaporates. Also part of the savings is that when you are homebuilding one can usually tolerate a lower level of cosmetic perfection than a manufacturer can get away with, which further saves time and money. Still if one enjoys making things, tank bands are one of those things, along with O2 analzyers, mixing gear, lights and backplates, where you can save some serious money.

The secret to making cheap tank bands is cheap stock, which happens to be surprisingly easy to obtain. Find a sheet metal shop or scrap metal dealer than handles a lot of SS, and buy some SS shearing scraps - long strips left over when they trim big sheets - which they'll usually sell as scrap for 20-50¢ a pound. Sort through them and you can usually find some already just the right width for tank bands. This is a double bargain - you get the metal dirt cheap, and it's already precut to size. Since the price is trivial, get some extra in case it doesn't turn out right the first try.

The easiest way to get the size right is to borrow a set of commercial bands and simply use them as a guide. If you can get access to a roller and put a nice bend in the strips its a lot easier, but you can do it bending them by hand around a suitable form, then bending the ends in a vise.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

You can make bands that will squarely align and hold a set of 104's for under $10? Have you any idea what kind of gold mine your sitting on?

I used large clamps (similar to those on hoses in a car) I bought at Ace hardware. I used them to clamp the tanks to a frame made from scrap metal.

I am looking to set up a set of OMS 45s to use on bech dives. Anyone know of someone selling a few old ones?

Thanks
Eric

ericfine50 once bubbled...
....to use on bech dives......

Eric

Eric,

OK, I know you are missing a letter is it "belch" dives
or "beach" dives?????
:D :D :D :D

Dave D

cute... very cute. I guess I had to much of the Kool Aid. :D :D :D
or... I am eating way to much chillie before a dive.

Eric

Watch out for the chile! Argon is the gas of choice for drysuit inflation!

Dave D

Yea Yea Yea... Chille is the poor man's argon.:)

Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom