Sneezing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too have sneezed underwater. The last time I went diving , I was just getting over a cold and must have sneezed 10 times per dive.

Its not all that bad, it is pretty much just like fdog said, your mask just fills up with snot.Which I cleared out like a flooded mask.

Then I mastered the art of blowing my nose underwater, its kinda like clearing your mask out, but blowing out your nose REALLY hard.

I think it was the snot that was making me sneeze, beacause once I figured out how to blow my nose, the sneezing stopped.

And to doiteasy's question, I was sneezing allday prior to the U/W sneezing.

Never sneezed. I have coughed, and someone told me I could explode my lungs doing that at depth. So it's good to know that a sneeze doesn't result in barotrauma.

I did see someone puke. Another student on the OW check-out had a "less than advisable" lunch. With the seven mile ride, 90+ heat and humidity…well things weren't pretty. Everyone figured he'd be fine once he was in the water (he wasn't) and even at depth below the wave action. First time the instructor had someone actually sick below water. He performed all the skills and didn't seem to have any difficulty - a real trooper.

Warhammer, yeah, I could have gone my whole life without seeing that! Yet another reason not to rent a wetsuit! I think I'd want something other than a snorkel in my mouth.

I can't remember if I've ever sneezed underwater (I'm fairly certain I have at some time or another), but I have surfaced with mucus in the nose piece of my mask. I have also had coughing fits underwater, which is NOT fun.

do it easy:
Any idea about what caused you to sneeze? Besides the frothy snot? Did you have the urge to sneeze at the surface or did it develop underwater?
I have low-grade allergies. I'd had a sort of stuffy nose prior to the dive.

Not surprisingly, I had no remaining stuffy nose issues after surfacing!

All the best, James

Yup, I just sneezed a couple of weeks ago. Reg just sort of popped out. No biggie.

A friend of mine who was an Army combat diver was out diving with his team one day. One of his team members had this spiffy new dive knife on his leg so friend slides over and snaggs it. He swam on ahead and pinned a flounder to the bottom with the knife. He sliced up right there and had a bit of sushi on the bottom fo the ocean. The other guys found out, by doing it, that you can throw up through the reg.

Sneezed twice on a dive a week ago...nothing happened...way less traumatic than the times I've puked!

ahhh....yes you can throw up thru your reg, but I am having a hard time getting the Jack Daniels smell out of my reg. Amazing how the spins go away after you get off the boat though.................................

Wow.... interesting sneeze stories! I suppose one really could "blow their nose" underwater... just have to be sure not to inhale thru the nose afterward.

I too have had coughing fits underwater... a couple of them started cause I was laughing so hard, and lost my "toothy grip" on the reg and inhaled water.... and suddenly the laughter stopped, and the choking began! Have to hold the reg in, and keep your bearings straight. Eventually, it stops, and the dive can continue. Other times, I think I just got choked up on something, and it eventually stopped too. Just make sure your buddy knows you're "ok" cause it can look pretty freaky when your partner is choking!

never had a sneezing fit, but did have a massive bloody nose on one dive.

Ive sneezed a few time , i just hold the reg like i would for a cought. I havnt filled my mask with snot yet.

Back
Top Bottom