Snorkel for wavy conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.However if it has a bird cage and ping pong ball just say no. :)

What about this one?

03-004.jpg

ah, the classic bird cage/ping pong ball. Growing up I had a mask with a pair of snorkels coming out the top, each with a 180deg bend and a cage/floaty ball cap. I can't even find a picture of such a thing.

However if it has a bird cage and ping pong ball just say no. :)

Pete

I had one of those when I was around 6 years old, and it took me less than a month to take a knife to it. I've been using J snorkels since then.

Bob
------------------------------------------
All my life I've wanted an excuse to wear a knife, and here I have found a sport where it is actually encouraged~ Dave Barry

Hi, so I got certified a couple of months ago, and I'm slowly starting to buy my own gear, starting with mask/fin/snorkel. I recently went and bought an Oceanic Ultra Dry snorkel because I get a little anxious when it's pretty wavy on the surface, hoping that it'll make me a little more assured while waiting to go down or during the swim from shore. I haven't had a chance to test it in open seas yet, but I gave it a go in the pool and was a little disappointed by how difficult it was to purge after I purposely letting some water in. I noticed that when I did try to purge it, the water was more likely to try and shoot back up the tube rather than through the purge valve.

Is this common with snorkels with purge valves, or is it maybe the model? I've previously only used rental gear from dive shops and purging on those snorkels haven't been the greatest either, but I usually put that down to rental gear always being a little beat up. Could someone perhaps recommend a better option that would work well in wavy conditions too. The Oceanic doesn't seem like it'll give much protection to splash either which is a little annoying.

A.) Dry snorkel is an oxymoron (like "jumbo shrimp")

B.) Have you checked to see that the purge valve is functioning properly? Sometimes they stick when they are new. Try to cover tube end and blow.

C.) As others have mentioned, try to clear with short, but firm, puffs of air. This approach tends to blow the water "down and out" rather than forcing most of the air up the tube.

A.) Dry snorkel is an oxymoron (like "jumbo shrimp")

B.) Have you checked to see that the purge valve is functioning properly? Sometimes they stick when they are new. Try to cover tube end and blow.

C.) As others have mentioned, try to clear with short, but firm, puffs of air. This approach tends to blow the water "down and out" rather than forcing most of the air up the tube.

A) I LOVE jumbo shrimp... Yes, there is no such thing as a dry snorkel, yet.

B) Before each dive, I cover my snorkel with my thumb and blow into it to unstick the purge valve. If the little flap dries, the seal tends to stick. It's part of my gear check before each dive. After that, all is good.

C) If I get water in my snorkel, I use a sharp breath of air to blow the water out. Using my tongue to block the air "like spitting" usually helps. Everyone has there own way to clear.

A) there is no such thing as a dry snorkel, yet.

Of course there is... the snorkel I leave in my basement has been bone-dry for years!

I haven't used a snorkel for scuba diving for as long as I can remember. I often throw a simple J snorkel in my bag in case I'm lucky enough to end up with some porpoises, Mantas, or other on the surface. I have used my snorkel for this on several occasions.

I have used a J tube with a big bore and still do for classes. For my own diving I keep a simple $20 foldable one in my BC pocket (works OK, but haven't needed it yet). I don't usually do long surface swims and seem to have plenty of tank air to just use the reg if needed. I would think the folding one wouldn't be so good for long surface swims to save air.

Of course there is... the snorkel I leave in my basement has been bone-dry for years!

Touché!

Reactions: RJP
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom