Snorkel Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I've been researching online about snorkeling. While I have found an abundance of surface swimming tips, one thing has eluded me.

If I want to free dive down a ways, do I spit out the mouthpiece before jackknifing down? (As I write this, I realize what a :dork2: :newbie: question that is)

But still, I havent found a decent response that addresses this.

I keep my snorkel in my mouth all the time. I don't want to have to lift my head out of the water when I come up and lose track of whatever I'm looking at. Most of the freedivers I know do the same. A few spit it out. What feels good for you?

I keep my snorkel in my mouth all the time. I don't want to have to lift my head out of the water when I come up and lose track of whatever I'm looking at. Most of the freedivers I know do the same. A few spit it out. What feels good for you?

So how do you keep from swallowing the ocean when you dive. Ive only been pool snorkeling on my own on the surface(pool is not deep enough to really submerge). Going to Florida soon and want to snorkel while there.

JD

Saltwater shoulnt be an issue in your mouth.Ive never heard of spitting out the snork on descent.You could stick your toungue in the opening I suppose,or get a dry snork as suggested.

I've been researching online about snorkeling. While I have found an abundance of surface swimming tips, one thing has eluded me.

If I want to free dive down a ways, do I spit out the mouthpiece before jackknifing down? (As I write this, I realize what a :dork2: :newbie: question that is)

But still, I havent found a decent response that addresses this.

I think the best thing is to keep the snorkel in your mouth. In a conventional snorkel, you would clear the snorkel just as you surface. In a purge snorkel, either the same as the conventional, or just a bit after.

So how do you keep from swallowing the ocean when you dive. Ive only been pool snorkeling on my own on the surface(pool is not deep enough to really submerge). Going to Florida soon and want to snorkel while there.

JD

You don't swallow.

So how do you keep from swallowing the ocean when you dive.

Don't worry, you wont. It's a good question though and it made me stop and think for a moment.

Even with a dirt simple J tube snorkel there are a few things going on. The combination of the J tube and your generally face down/down/forward posture forms something a lot like the trap under your sink. Secondly your respiratory system is full of air and you are holding a diaphragm position as you hold your breath.

As you dive down the water pours down into a basic snorkel but as it fills and tries to rise to your mouth it runs into your held breath. Meanwhile as you dive down your chest is being squeezed and this increases the pressure in your airway and holds the water in check.

You might find this interesting.

Have a great trip,
Pete

It is a good question and one I get when I teach finswimming to people trying it out for the first time before going to Hawaii or some other warm place. I teach to keep the snorkel in at all times, except when on their back at which point a "snorkel" becomes a "straw" if you inhale. Many first timers don't know that when the snorkel submerges they need to stop inhalation. I know that sounds nuts, but keep in mind this is beyond their experience and they don't know any better, which means it is an excellent question.

For clearing the snorkel, I teach both forced expulsion and displacement and teach them to take an initial shallow breath upon surfacing to avoid inhalation of any residual water. I have a variety of snorkels for them to use so they can see the difference.

As a side note, I am not a big fan of dry snorkels. The inexpensive ones don't work or easily break and the expensive ones are too expensive for the casual and occassional snorkeler.

Saltwater shoulnt be an issue in your mouth.Ive never heard of spitting out the snork on descent.You could stick your toungue in the opening I suppose,or get a dry snork as suggested.

Yep tongue that thing. Or close your mouth and press against your against your teeth with your tongue and deal with a little water. I often take the snorkel out of my mouth freediving just because it is more comfortable when hanging out below the surface.

Learn to love the taste of seawater if your going to snorkeling a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom