Snorkel Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i usually just decend as normal with snorkel in mouth not really bothering with closing of the mouthpeice. then when acending, just before you reach the surface begin to blow out and then expell the rest at the surface. i suppose its whatever comes naturally. hope this helps.

I have snorkeled for 5 years and got scuba certified this summer. In scuba class they taught us how to dive with a snorkel. It was much like described above. If you exhale a little bit as you begin to ascend the air will expand in the snorkel tube forcing all the water out and the snorkel will be dry when you surface.

We are going to GBR in Jan 09. Where is the best place to snorkel and which tour operator id the best for snorklers?

Fred in Naples

I have snorkeled for 5 years and got scuba certified this summer. In scuba class they taught us how to dive with a snorkel. It was much like described above. If you exhale a little bit as you begin to ascend the air will expand in the snorkel tube forcing all the water out and the snorkel will be dry when you surface.

That and a little blast of air when you surface to clear anything that did work it's way in.
No one taught me but I do this all the time and has worked fine for me over the last 15+ years.

I keep my snorkel in my mouth at all times while freediving or while snorkeling. The J-bend near the mouthpiece keeps water out by keeping a pocket of air in it. I do not recall even having seawater go into my mouth as a result of keeping the snorkel in my mouth.

As a freedive spearfisherman for years, decades actually, I can tell you why most spearos spit out their snorkel. 1: the sound of bubbles coming from the snorkel scare away fish. Stealth is the secret to closing on fish. 2: spearos learn to dive deep and stay long; that exposes them to shallow water blackout if they do too much of either. It is widely believed in spearfishing that a SWB with the snorkel in your mouth will introduce water into your airway and you will drown before your buddy can get to you. I would say if you aren't hunting and aren't diving deep, keeping the snorkel in you mouth is fine. If you dive deeper than 60 feet, I urge you to remove the snorkel. It could save your life. And be sure to have a buddy watching you on every dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom