snorkel trip/charter boat vs boat rental

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexlakeman

Reaction score
I am planning to take my two boys snorkeling next month for a couple days in key largo, as they are not scuba diving yet. I priced the snorkel trip at $35/person it's $105 for the three of us.. But renting a 20' boat is just $160 including fuel for 4 hours!..

Problem? I haven't drive a boat in over a decade :( ... They said they give you directions on how to get out to a dive spot. I don't think the boats would have gps neither.

How simple is it to get out to a dive spot from John Penekamp's pier?

tks

just go on a charter.. Much safer for you and the boys.The rental rate sounds reasonable,but you probably will have to refuel the boat on return too..

take a charter, relax and enjoy yourself--you dont have to worry about anchoring or anything else----I love charter trips for scuba--probably the best $50-$60 you can spend on entertainment

$35 per person is a really good price. This weekend, I am taking my daughter and my mother out snorkeling while I dive with one of the few operators that seem to put divers and snorklers on the same boat. the price for snorkeling is $50 for a two location trip (two tank for divers). We are using It's A Dive

CHARTER. I ran onto the reef once while renting a boat despite a lifetime of running boats. It COULD HAVE BEEN very expensive but FWC was nice about it. Never again, just use a charter, it is well worth it unless you have awesome local knowledge of the reefs. Those tickets can be prohibitively EXPENSIVE.

We rented a boat at St. Andrew's state park in Panama City beach and did a little snorkeling. It was a pontoon boat and nearly indestructable. With common sense and some boating experience I don't think it would be a problem. If the boat is bigger than you're used to that may be another story.

We snorkled in ~6 feet of water in a fairly populous area so its not like we were 20 miles offshore. Can't speak to the Keys though, could be a whole different story.

Having some experience helps but without a GPS it's very difficult to navigate. You're not going to find landmarks on the ocean.
I was at the Spiegel Grove last week and a rental boat pulls up and asks "is this the Christ Statue?"
Two days later I was at the City of Washington and a renal boat pulled up and asked "excuse me, can you tell me where the statue thing is"
Buy a cheap handheld GPS (like Lowrance H2Oc) with bluewater software that shows bottom contour.
Larry

I would just do charters, save yourself the hassle and stress of possibly grounding the boat on a reef, and also the dive master will be up on the latest conditions and best locations.
I remember having a good snorkeling experience on one of the catamarans out of Key Largo, the Reef Roamer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom