Snorkel ~ What would you buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rascal1933

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello ScubaBoard members,
Looking for a new BC pocket/foldable/compact snorkel.

Which snorkel would you buy?

Oceanic 'Pocket' Snorkel
OmerSub Zoom Pro Soft Snorkel
Apollo Prestige Stowable Snorkel
Zeagle Flex Purge Snorkel
Aqualung Snap Folding Snorkel

Any comments,experiences,with these snorkels.....
Please feel free to give a review of Pros and Cons.

Cheers,
Rascal

rascal1933:
Hello ScubaBoard members,
Looking for a new BC pocket/foldable/compact snorkel.

Which snorkel would you buy?

Oceanic 'Pocket' Snorkel
OmerSub Zoom Pro Soft Snorkel
Apollo Prestige Stowable Snorkel
Zeagle Flex Purge Snorkel
Aqualung Snap Folding Snorkel

Any comments,experiences,with these snorkels.....
Please feel free to give a review of Pros and Cons.

Cheers,
Rascal
Without a doubt I like the OmersSub Zoom Pro Soft. I have one and use it often. Very pleased with the simplicity of it.

I have both the Apollo Prestige stowable snorkel and Aqualung Snap.

Apollo works better as a snorkel while Aqualung Snap breathe a bit wet as it doesn't have purge valves. But the Snap stow much better.

Personally, I prefer the Snap for the benefit of its better folding capability.

i like the al snap (have one) as a backup / emergency solution. it folds easy and small away. if you look for a "real" snorkel, i would recommend get a comfy one for the snorkeling times and a "fold away" for this scuba days where you most likely dont need it anyway and just want a fallback to solution. the oceanic and zeagle are fine to according to friends of mine (never used them) rest i cant comment on at all.

I also have the Snap and Apollo. The Snap stows much better than the Apollo and it's good if you're looking for a basic stowable snorkel. If you snorkel a lot I'd get a separate snorkel specifically for that.

The Apollo is much nicer to use, pretty much as good as many full featured snorkels, but IMO doesn't stow well enough to be called stowable - I wouldn't buy this one if stowable is an important criteria.

My vote is for the Aqualung Snap Folding Snorkel

Wore a snorkel on my mask strap for over 30 years and just recently switched to the SNAP and keep it in my BCD pocket. All my diving these days is tropical and liveaboard, so you can't generalize from my experience but for that application I think it is the way to go.

'Slogger

I have the Aqualung Snap. It is good for stowing in the BCD for an emergency, and it is nice not to have snorkel on your mask while diving. However, it is not a very good snorkel, so you will not want to use it very often. One problem is that sometimes I like to use a snorkel while swimming to the mooring line (to save air) or while floating on the surface after the dive (so I don't suck the tank below 500 psi). The Snap is not convenient to use that way.

If you can find one I would get a Dugi by Aeris. Great snorkel and as plain as it gets--simple J that's completely flexible. No purge valve or other device to keep water out. It will bend in almost any direction and always pops right back into its original shape even after being in a pocket for a while. I think they're $10 or $15 max.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom