Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DA Aquamaster:
There is a compromise involved in tube diameter.

When I still snorkled with a simple snorkel (no lower end self-draining valve) I preferred a medium diameter tube because it was easier to clear. Much less tiring on long (3 - 4 hr swims).
Constantly blowing hard to clear a large diameter tube can become very tiring.

DA Aquamaster:
A larger air will allow more airflow with less restriction, but the internal volume of the snorkel is another dead airspace (along with your mouth and throat) that you have to overcome to move air in and out of your lungs.
It also affects the ability to clear the snorkel. If the diameter is too large, an attempt to clear it will result in the air "bubbling" through the water rather than forcing it out.

James

I like a regular snorkel. My hubby likes a "dry snorkel". To me it's too much work.

I use a snorkel only when I'm snorkelling and on occasion when I'm freediving. The problem when using it freediving is that once I submerge I take the snorkel out of my mouth and if it's any larger than a simple J tube, it flaps around uncomfortably on the side of my mask.

I used to have a 'dry' snorkel - very heavy in the slipstream and lots of flapping - I upgraded to a simpler snorkel with a bottom purge - still lots of water resistance. The one I use now is only a simple J tube, and like I said I use it only while snorkelling (shallow freediving) or playing underwater hockey (a necessity).

Oh Freefloat,
which agency did you use for your "insane" certification?
Is that basic or advanced? :eyebrow:

Mike

LOL I knew how to use the snorkel, I just didn't understand the physics of it, so why be sarcastic? You guys are a bunch of snorkels.

CBulla thanks for the link.

rna:
LOL I knew how to use the snorkel, I just didn't understand the physics of it, so why be sarcastic? You guys are a bunch of snorkels.

CBulla thanks for the link.

Who was being sarcastic? Many people can't complete lesson 2. Amazing how many people I see taking their snorkel out of their mouth to empty it. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom