Snorkeler attacked and killed by Bull Shark at Seychelles while on honeymoon.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not think having some moron calling for the capture and killing of the shark in question, is the solution to the problem.

I imagine it's usually near impossible to find a specific shark & confirm its identity in such a scenario as this. It may occasionally be possible if someone has a photo, video or very reliable witness of a distinguishing mark. Doubt that's the case here.

But let's say it were, since it's an interesting idea to explore. Is a shark that's made an (far as we know, and as many people would consider such) unprovoked serious attack on a human then significantly higher risk to do so in the future?

The shark attacks along Matawan Creek in the New Jersey area provide an anecdote that it just might be so.

I don't have a dog (of any breed, bull or otherwise) in this fight; just curious as to peoples' thoughts on the concept of whether sharks who do attack people (rare though they be) might be 'different' somehow and higher risk to re-offend.

There are predators in the world we practically assume would prey on humans given a great chance (think the Nile Crocodiles in the Tarzan movies! If someone went in the water, you knew Tarzan was going to be knifing a croc. to death). But people have tried to get away from that image with sharks.

Richard.

I imagine it's usually near impossible to find a specific shark & confirm its identity in such a scenario as this. It may occasionally be possible if someone has a photo, video or very reliable witness of a distinguishing mark. Doubt that's the case here.

But let's say it were, since it's an interesting idea to explore. Is a shark that's made an (far as we know, and as many people would consider such) unprovoked serious attack on a human then significantly higher risk to do so in the future?
In the post immediately prior to this one, I related the Discovery Channel show that examined this issue specifically and looked at each possible case, including the New Jersey attacks. Their conclusion is that no, there is no such thing as a shark intentionally looking for humans.

where is it possible to get a copy of the full documentary this is your ocean:sharks ? is it available on dvd?
"
This is Your Ocean" is still makeing the rounds at Film Festivals, as it needs to prior to going for mass distribution.

If you get to S florida, I can let you see it...If you can't, use the contact page Status Productions - Contact and ask them about upcoming places it will be showing, and dates.... This film IS AMAZING ! It is like no shark film you have ever seen.

Boulderjohn:

Interesting post; I think I was probably working on my post when yours posted. I do note something, though. Let me grab 2 pieces from your post:

The theory of the "rogue maneater," a shark that stops eating its normal prey and intentionally targets humans, was first devised by an Australian doctor in the 1950s, at a time when very little was really known about sharks.

The show concluded that there is no evidence that there has ever been any single case of a "rogue maneater" as described by the late Australian doctor.

I'm not suggesting the possibility of a shark deliberately focusing on humans as a sole prey, somewhat like some land-based predator examples where 'man-eaters' hunted people on purpose. I'm thinking more in terms of a shark that simply comes to consider humans a food option, sort of 'on the menu,' whereas others of its kind might not associate humans with food.

As for causation, whether the attacker is genetically aberrant (humans vary in innate temperament; I imagine some animals do, too) or badly taught through shark feeding exercises, for example, that I don't care to touch!

Richard.

See aLot of posts in this thread that imply blaming the swimmer. Which really iguess you can, the shark was doing what god intended for it. Bowever, if there is a causation of the shark attacking people, i would wager more money on association rather than past experience.

If you routinely have an environment where people are feeding sharks, such as abernathy does, it isnt far fetched to think that the shark thinks people mean food.

My sig picnis from a shark dive in grand bahama. I asked how they knew the sharks would be there? They said the other dive shop feeds them and now the sharks just hear the dive boat coming and think its dinner time.

So, if you are going on shark dives or even watching shark week, you are part of the problem of sharks eating people. Im just as guilty as the next guy, i watch the hell out of shark week.

Before I form an opinion I want to hear the shark's account of the events.

See aLot of posts in this thread that imply blaming the swimmer. Which really iguess you can, the shark was doing what god intended for it. Bowever, if there is a causation of the shark attacking people, i would wager more money on association rather than past experience.

If you routinely have an environment where people are feeding sharks, such as abernathy does, it isnt far fetched to think that the shark thinks people mean food.

My sig picnis from a shark dive in grand bahama. I asked how they knew the sharks would be there? They said the other dive shop feeds them and now the sharks just hear the dive boat coming and think its dinner time.

So, if you are going on shark dives or even watching shark week, you are part of the problem of sharks eating people. Im just as guilty as the next guy, i watch the hell out of shark week.

Abernethy does not feed the sharks...there is bait in a box, that attracts the sharks. They come in to the bait, but do not get fed.

The Discovery channel show on rogue sharks did tell the story about the oceanic white tip shark in Egypt that attacked several humans. The attacks were unusual in that the victims were bitten on the hands and buttocks. It was later leaned that this shark had been hand fed many times by divers, the bait had been kept in a bag tied around the waist, in the butt area. The shark had learned to associate divers with food, and was identified in photos and video. That was a rouge shark, but it was a man made rogue shark.

The snorkeler who was killed, was a victim of a rare feeding attack. It is unusual for a shark to eat a human. Most of the time it is just an investigative bite, and nothing else. I could be wrong, but I believe a feeding attack is almost always fatal.

They concluded the show with the one that was probably the best case of all, the killings by what was almost certainly the same oceanic white tip in the Red Sea last December. This shark had a distinctive wound on its tale that made identification possible. In their investigation, they found video (which they showed) of this same shark being fed fish by a divemaster. The divemaster would reach in a pouch kept on his behind, pull out a piece of fish, and then feed the shark by hand. And where did this shark bite his human victims? On the hands and the behind, of course. (As I understand it, feeding sharks in that area is illegal because it teaches sharks to associate humans with free food.)
Yes, it's hard to imagine more compelling evidence against shark feeding. Yet, when I shared those findings in the original thread about those attacks, they met with disdain from the Red Sea dive professionals in that thread. As Upton Sinclair said, "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom