snorkling with open heal fins...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kracken:
OK, I know I'm going to get zapped for this one but:

"Heal" means to repair or make well, as in "The wound needs to heal."

"Heel" - anatomically a part of the foot, generally where one's fin strap is fitted.

Kracken, you are so grammatical. I am spellbound.

Seriously, I use the same fins for diving and snorkeling. Open heeled USD Compros or Blades with hard soled boots.

If you own open heel fins and are comfortable using them snorkeling... go for it.

The kick used in snorkeling is more of a flutter, as you're mainly cruising the surface... whereas a divers kick while submerged with open heel fins requires straighter legs, a wider kick and not so much flutter (hope you're following my drift, cause I just re-read this and it sounds like snorkeling 101)... Anyway... that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

We work with lots of novice snorkelers and always use full foot fins... it's just so much easier for them. Most of these guys have never worn open heel fins, and just want a good snorkeling experience without the leg workout...

But if you own open heel fins and don't have a problem with them, by all means use em'

mempilot:
Here's my .02 worth. Most open heal fins have larger fin surface and stiffer blades than fins designed specifically for snorkeling. This makes it tough on the legs when breaking the surface of the water.

Traditionally, snorkeling fins have shorter and more flimsy blades since you don't need the power from a scuba kick to propel you.

That being said. I use the first pair of open heal fins I ever bought, since they are completely inadequate for diving. They are a little large for snorkeling, but are nice if I want to freedive from the surface to check something out.

These ideas could be right in case SNORKELING means swimming on surface with cheap fins..ok

If snorkeling = freediving or swimming with longblade fins obviously we can not make a comparison between the power delivered by a standard scuba fin (open heel) and a set of long blades fins....i often dive in some sites where the currents tends to be strong... i always use freediving fins in these conditions and the results are outstanding...i see divers fighting against currents and i can dive much better than they could.even some DIR friends are suffered with their jets and frog kick, i think these divers need scooter assistance using these fins in high currents conditions :11: ...in fact since i´ve been done freediving and using these fins for scuba i can not see going back...just in courses, confined or no currents situations or overhead enviroments i use shorter standard scuba fins.....

I would interpret your question as: "All else being equal (blade length, material, design), is there a significant difference between open-heel and closed-heel designs?".

My freediving fins are 85cm Dessaults that have open heels. I've dove these in warm water against the same fins with closed heels. The closed heel (shoe-like) design had a small amount more snap and immediate response, which I attribute to a more direct connection to the feet (not through neoprene booties and well anchored to the heel). I didn't really notice a significant amount of increased drag from the open-heel design.

The differences were so small, though, I am very happy with the performance of my open-heels. Not to mention I'd be miserable on the California coast with closed-heel fins and frozen feet.

My take was that wearing a closed-heel fin with a sloppy foot pocket, or a bootie inside the foot pocket, would be no more efficient than a well-fitted open-heel fin.

The differences were really, really small, though. The design and length of the blade are really the controling factors, and most "serious" freediving fins are full-foot (closed heel) designs, so perhaps this is where the generalization comes from.

All the best, James

will_tekkie:
These ideas could be right in case SNORKELING means swimming on surface with cheap fins..ok

If snorkeling = freediving or swimming with longblade fins obviously we can not make a comparison between the power delivered by a standard scuba fin (open heel) and a set of long blades fins....i often dive in some sites where the currents tends to be strong... i always use freediving fins in these conditions and the results are outstanding...i see divers fighting against currents and i can dive much better than they could.even some DIR friends are suffered with their jets and frog kick, i think these divers need scooter assistance using these fins in high currents conditions :11: ...in fact since i´ve been done freediving and using these fins for scuba i can not see going back...just in courses, confined or no currents situations or overhead enviroments i use shorter standard scuba fins.....
I wasn't refering to freediving with long blades, but rather taking a shallow dip from the surface to check out something interesting. Even the crappiest fins will work for the tourist type snorkeling being discussed in this thread, but the move to open heals often means stiffer fins made more for a scuba kick. This works good for the dip, but not as good on the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom