So Confused About Plate Weighting, Wing Size, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The XS Scuba weight pockets are pretty versatile, and they can even be put on a simple webbing strap to make a weight belt later, if you decide you want that.

You can settle your weighting with a full tank -- Just know the amount of usable gas in the tank. For example, an Al80 has 77 cu ft of gas in it when full; 500 psi in that tank is 12.5 cubic feet. So usable gas is approximately 65 cu ft. Air weighs a pound for every 13 cu ft, so you have about 5 lbs of usable gas in an Al80. Weight yourself for neutral at the surface with a full tank, then add 5 lbs, and you're pretty much there.

I've been traveling for the last couple of years with a SS BP. For tropical diving and a 3 mil suit, I need only 2 lbs additional. I have no trouble making the airline weight restrictions with the SS BP. For heavier exposure protection or cold water, I just add camband weights and, if needed, a weight belt.

I have a Rig for cold water which means more weight to compensate for a thicker wetsuit. I purchased from LeisurePro and SCUBAToys. Just under $700.
Dive Rite TransPlate, SS BP, STA, Lumbar Pad, SS tank cam straps, 2" Crotch Strap
OMS two small pockets
Oxycheq Mach V Extreme 40lb - very low profile for single tanks does not require STA

Hammerhead has a SS BP is less expensive. Check the Hammerhead site for a complete BP/Harness set-up.

I use a steel HP100 or HP130 Tank.

Since the SS BP + STA + SS Tank cam Straps already places weight over my lung area, I need no additional trim weight. I have the additional weight on my XS SCUBA pouch weight belt. I have no extra weight on my Rig. My Rig is set-up so I can remove it and freedive without having to remove weight from my belt.

It's all done. I spoke with Tobin this afternoon, and I'm ordering the the SS medium plate, hog harness (hope I can learn to use it), and 30lb wing. This should cover me for anything with singles, including the potential purchase of my dry suit sometime down the road. Thanks, everyone!

You'll be happy with your decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom