So how does Cave training work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

working on getting a sidekick right now.... Waiting for a few things I'm working on with Mike and Poseidon before I pull the trigger

Are they still having problems with moisture on the cells in the Sidekick? I am curious how the Poseidon cells will work. I have heard rumblings about a limited run of vastly improved Sidekick clones coming out of Germany that are supposed to be awesome. Have you seen them?

Iirc, they want 100 cave dives before DPV cave? Does a DPV make it that easy to get into trouble?
That easy and moreso. Having the awareness to know the cave at speed does not come easy or quickly. Basically everything else has to be 2nd nature to free up the bandwidth to know and anticipate on the scooter.

Accidentally doing a visual jump onto the wrong line, blowing out the vis and having to do touch contact at a fraction of the pace you planned on, contact with the ceilings hurt you and gear more, its a whole 'nother kind of cave diving.

Accidentally doing a visual jump onto the wrong line, blowing out the vis
That precisely describes a near fatality at Jackson Blue a couple years ago.

If not traversing across them I will either cookie or clip a reel or something to the line as a quick reference, just something readily accessible. If traversing across I don't usually bother but will make some sort of reference to myself where I came up from so I don't go back down the same hole.
Last time I was there, the gold line was actually continuous. Somebody had tied and left a permanent line "bridging the gaps" at Challenge and Olsen.

That precisely describes a near fatality at Jackson Blue a couple years ago.

....and Hole, and Ginnie, and a few other places with some close calls.

How does cave training work? Well, it is a three step process.

First, go and take out a line of credit loan on your house. You will need this, it is essential gear.

Second, carefully choose an instructor. Try to find one with the crappiest truck you can find, living in cave country in a beat up camper or mobile home. If he has a new truck or boat, remember, you will be making his payments. DO NOT carry a big thick wallet, and if you have to, buy a 1984 Subaru with rust to drive to class, never show up in a new F250.

Finally, but only used gear, and bitch about how much everything costs. If you already have new gear, drag it behind the Subaru a few miles, never let anyone know you can afford new stuff.

Enjoy your training, be safe, and remember the phrase "I am not going to buy that damn rebreather, it costs more than my car".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom