So how hard would it be....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yup, you'd load the gas, I've thought about that one, if your habitat is at 30' you'd have to keep track of how long you were in there for that depth, the one I was looking at building would only be at 10' so you could stay down a long time, hell, if you want to get crazy pump it full of nitrox.

OOOOO

OR!

if its only at 10' pump it full of O2 and setup a scrubber!!!

no bubbles!

Umm, I'm looking in my cert book for "underwater bunker" . . . nope, nothing there . . . maybe "Atlantis"? . . . darn, nothin' . . . "Right-wing extremist", maybe? Man, there must be somethin' about this in here somewhere . . . I'm gonna have to ask my instructor about this during my OW dives, cause I swear there was no one living in the pool. :crazyeyes

Maybe he thinks the aliens wont look for him underwater......
And lining your clothes and making a hat with tinfoil will not keep the super alien locator rays from finding you......
They always know where you are, they are watching you right now.
-g

Man, don't you people have any imagination?

Hi, everyone, by the way. This is my first post here and it's probably not a very good start, but I really had to reply to this thread.

When I was about 15 there was this little lake near my high-school. We used to hang out there a lot. I once freedived to about 20 feet in the deepest part and found the bottom. The viz was 0.0 inches. We (me and some friends) hatched the idea of doing the same thing--putting some kind of habitat on the bottom. Why? Well, hell, just because it seemed cool.

So with no viz, underwater construction was right out. We needed something pre-made. We spent a lot of time looking around for the right kind of thing. Finally we decided the thing to do would be to swipe a small dumpster, clean it out and use it upside-down. Weld plates over any holes and make a bottom for it with a hole cut out to get in and out of. Next, we weld legs on it and put on big I-beams for legs.

How to get it in place. Well, we didn't have many resourses so we figured the thing to do was to drive it out to the lake in winter, slide it out on the I-beam legs (like skis) on the ice, cut or blow up the ice and just sink it there. Then the next summer, we go out, right it and fill it with air from a scuba tank.

Remember, I was 15. It all seemed reasonable.

Anyway, we were working on the issue of air supply. I didn't know how to use scuba yet, but I did have an old copy of the navy tables and it said that at that depth (20') there was no NDL, so we figured we didn't have to worry about that. One possibility was to use scuba tanks and just blow one every so often until you ran out and then just leave. Another possibility was some kind of scrubber, but that was a bit out of our technical range. We weren't sure about using a compressor. We knew that it would have to overcome the pressure difference from the surface to depth, but we really didn't know how much that was. And whatever it was, it had to be quiet or else some damnable grownup was sure to find out and pull the plug, as it were.

But it didn't matter. Because one day I got to thinking. Something really fundamental occured to me.

Things with air in them tend to float.

Hmmmm. I wondered whether that would be an issue. I mean, the dumpster would be pretty heavy, right? So it shouldn't be a problem. But then again, navy ships are made of metal...

So just off the top of my head I figured some things out. Let's see... a small dumpster, just at a guess, something tiny, but just big enough for two people to squat in with some gear... say, 5 ft. by 5 ft. by 4 ft. That's 5 X 5 X 4 = 100 cubic feet. The air weighs so little that for simplicity we can call it zero. Eight gallons in a cubic foot, I think... eight pints in a gallon... a pint's a pound the world around... so 64 pounds per cubic foot. 64 times 100... hey! That's more than three tons of buoyant force!

I wish I could see the look there must have been on my face when I figured that one out.

Well, so how to deal with that. Idea 1: use cables and expansion bolts in the rock. Unfortunately there was no viz to work in and no rock either--just muck. Idea 2: instead of I-beams for legs, use some kind of big trough. Sink the thing the same way, but then before filling the habitat with air, fill the trough/legs with balast. Ummm... three and a half tons of balast. Tungsten would be ideal, but would cost (literally) a fortune. Lead? Better, but still too expensive for the amount needed. Well, obviously the basement bomber solution (I can tell you're the basement bomber type) is just plain rocks.

Horray. We've got that solved.

But wait. Will the roof of the hab withstand 3 tons of upward force on it? Will the rest of the structure?

This was obviously getting complicated and expensive. So it wound up becoming not-acted-upon zany scheme number 8463.

I'd still love to do something like that, but I think it's a pretty serious venture.

Someone say "welcone to scubaboard."

Evans once bubbled...

Someone say "welcone to scubaboard."

"Welcone (sic) to scubaboard," Evans

The survivalist in me still likes this thread!! I think a concrete bunker would stay sunk. Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong - but if it's well-sealed and air locked so no water can get in, couldn't you just pressurize it to 1ata so you wouldn't have to worry about ongassing N2? I still think the noise of the compressor would be a problem (i.e. arrousing suspicion), though...

Once everything is built and pressurized and works..yadda yadda yadda, couldn't you bring down some plants to break down the CO2? it would solve the problem of the compressor and give you something to talk to during those long nuclear winters.

Well there is an underwater hotel in a lagoon in the Florida Keys. Why not ask them how they did it? :wink: It's been operational for 15 years at least up till now. Not exactly sure when it opened but I first saw it at least 15 years ago. I think since the early 70s. Jules Undersea Lodge

I have to say, I love the idea as well. I've been thinking a bit about it and at first thought a steel structure may be the way to go ... but you would have to contend with rust. Unless you have underwater welding kit, you will be wanting to build something on the surface and then sink it so if something rusts away and lets out all your air you have to bring the structure to the surface to make repairs.
Then I thought about making it out of fibreglass. Wouldn't rust, but the problem is that it would be too buoyant. I think concrete would be an excellent and relatively cheap way of keeping it down, but you would have to find a way of securely attaching the fibreglass to the concrete. Maybe run cables over the top of the structure?
If making it from fibreglass, Id be inclined to make it igloo shaped. It would also be fairly easy to sandwich plexiglass between the layers of glass to make windows.
If I owned property with a lake on it, Id do it!

Just thinking.. it may be easier/cheaper to buy an old boat with no engine.. cover it from gunnel to gunnel with wood/fibreglass then sink it upside down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom