So much for lightweight BCs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian Sharpe

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm getting my gear squared away for a trip next week and was thinking of packing my Stiletto rather than my BP/W (Dive Rite SS) and the in occurred to me to look at Zeagle's website.....it weighs in at 7.4 lbs and is about 1.5lbs positively buoyant.

With the webbing, wing & cam straps my BP/W is marginally heavier (only by about 1 lb). Can anyone offer up a compelling reason reason to pack the BC rather than BP/W? (I'm flying Scare Canada - luggage allowance is 2 x 50lb bags)

Nope. Take the BP/W. If you're 1 lb over on your baggage, take a smaller bottle of shampoo, but keep the BP/W!

.... 7.4 lbs ain't too bad.....what I find interesting is the obsession with 'lite' weight......and 'lite' weight is achieved at the expense of many of the options/features/capabilities that some of us dive in with more severe/challenging 'real world' dives. My BC's/wings are heavier than the 'idealized' lite weight BC or B/P....but then again I dive 'loaded for bear'.....with dual bladder wings/'armored material Oxycheq wings.....2 SMBs, small knife, cutting tool, 2 actually usable sized pockets, safety-signal strobe, at least one light......so while being 'lite' is admirable, to me it's a secondary goal and not the top priority.

I like to pack my Zeagle instead of my bp/wing just because it is so flexible and packs so well. Sometimes I even remove the tank straps or unbuckle them so it lays flatter. We usually pack in a regular suitcase instead of dive bag so fitting the interior shape is important. We can get two sets in and bring under 50# with the exception of regulators.

I take my Dive Rite Travel wing on most of my trips. on a BP and Harness the whole thing packs virtually flat. Even with a steel BP I have no trouble keeping under a 20 Kg limit.

If your looking for a lightweight diving configeration for travelling, the combined weight of my Buddy Arctic ABLJ, Typhoon polymer jet fins and abs backpack is 10lbs.

what I find interesting is the obsession with 'lite' weight......and 'lite' weight is achieved at the expense of many of the options/features/capabilities
I fully disagree. Going lightweight with a BC means that I CAN bring more equipment. Here is my Sea of Cortez gear list which weighed in at 31 pounds:

me:
My dive Gear for the trip:

XXL ScupaPro JetFins
OTB boots (wearing on the plane!)
3 mil WetWear custom wetsuit (with pockets)
Zeagle Express Tech BC (slightly modified)
DUI Weight Harness
Oceanic OC1 PDC (air integrated)
Oceanic Veo 250 (backup)
Atomic B1 Regulators (environmentally sealed)
Seacure Mouth pieces.
Miflex hoses
2 Intova back up lights
Dive Rite HID Primary light (can light)
2 Deep Sea Supply SS Spools (one normal and one wide)
Safety Sausage
Whistle
Dive 1 Tank lights

All the Zeagle gear is 30% off til Dec 31st. That means the express is not much more than 200 bucks! My boss and his wife are getting theirs this week. I've had mine about a month but got a killer deal as an instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom