So much for lightweight BCs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I fly Southwest Airlines. They allow 100# in two pieces of luggage, plus a carry-on, plus a bag for your laptop and/or purse at no extra charge. Problem solved.

Take the backplate. In addition to minimal to no weight penalty, you gain the ability to disassemble the thing for packing. I take the wing off, and the cambands off; that way I'm left with pieces that all go flat or nearly so.

You can knock off additional weight by getting an aluminum backplate or a plastic one.

Randy

With a 100 lb allowance, you could take a spare plate in case you break one! Take the BP/W.

(I'm flying Scare Canada - luggage allowance is 2 x 50lb bags)

Two of us can come in under 100lbs of baggage, not including carry on. If one person can't get their bags under 100lbs you must have a BIG camera system.

I could never go back to a jacket type BCD after using a BP/W.

I''d read your review of them, they sound like a great value and alternative if I hadn't already got my my BP/W. I can only slip so much new gear into the house unnoticed!:eyebrow:
They have all tyhe benefits of a BP&Wing and more as long as you are not going with back mounted doubles. So far, the only people I have found who do not like them are those who have yet to try one. :idk:

Greetings Brian and i have a AL BPW that I am ready to travel with. If I was closer I would loan it to you for your trip. Personally I would take my SS plate and less weight on the dive. Next choice would be my TransPac.
I am interested in this Zeagle that NetDoc is suggesting and will have to check it out.
I have seen some pretty light options for the traveling diver, I am just in love with the BPW whether AL or SS it is what I primarily dive. I have trained in jackets and could dive them if I HAD TO. It is fun to try them out in the pool while doing skill training but have not saw the need to dive them in OW. Just my opinion and I am sure there are others out there who feel quite the opposite. Not trying to start a thing!
Have a awesome tine on the vacation and dive like a crazy man! Enjoy the warm waters and hospitality. Be sure to come back with stories and let us know how it was.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I'm getting my gear squared away for a trip next week and was thinking of packing my Stiletto rather than my BP/W (Dive Rite SS) and the in occurred to me to look at Zeagle's website.....it weighs in at 7.4 lbs and is about 1.5lbs positively buoyant.

With the webbing, wing & cam straps my BP/W is marginally heavier (only by about 1 lb). Can anyone offer up a compelling reason reason to pack the BC rather than BP/W? (I'm flying Scare Canada - luggage allowance is 2 x 50lb bags)

All of my gear, excluding pony bottle, goes in carry-on, including wing with 5 lb. ss plate.

Really compact too. I did a week in Roatan last month with no checked bags.
I could have done that, but I have issues with my right ankle still. I would rather check my bags than carry them on. Heck, I got a NetBook PC just last week to keep things light. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom