So......should Paris go to jail?

Should Paris go to jail?

• Yes.......she's a disgrace!

Votes: 119 90.8%
  • No........anyone could make that mistake.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Doesn't matter.....Arnie will prolly pardon her anyway.

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisS:
She blew a .08, until recent changes came about, that wasn't even considered drunk driving.
I don't think she's going to jail because of what she originally did, whether it was DUI or reckless driving. I believe the point is more that she ignored the fact that she had her license removed and drove anyway...and got caught...twice. (thumbing her nose at the law)

IMO she's being done for rebelling against her first punishment and thinking she didn't have to take it seriously. I could be wrong, but that's how it looks to me.

Yes she should go, but the real question is why do we care

ReefHound:
She was convicted of reckless driving, not DUI.

In California, misdemeanor DUI (no injuries resulted, it's not the 4th or more in 7 years) is often pleaded down to reckless driving, especially if the person doesn't have priors.

I don't see why people have such a hard time believing she could be confused about whether or not her license was still suspended. Hello? This is Paris Hilton we're talking about. She could be confused about how to start the car.

Paris was quite aware of the fact that her license was suspended. She's just making up lame excuses.

The form that was mentioned in this thread and in the news stories, the one that Paris signed for acknowledging knowledge of the license suspension, is called a "DL-310." In order to be arrested for driving on a suspended license in CA, the officer has to show that you were already advised of the license suspension, which is done either by the court, by a law enforcement officer, or by the DMV.

Once completed, it's submitted to the DMV HQ in Sacramento, which updates the offender's driving record to show that he/she was given notice. Law officers and their dispatchers have access to this driving record, and can tell if the person was advised or not. The offender is also given a copy of the form, and while we usually ask for the person's signature, it's not required for this form (and I've had a couple refuse to sign it). The officer simply swears under penalty of perjury that notice was given.

In addition, If Paris was at least a .08% at the time of her first arrest, and she possessed a California DL, under CA law if the person was in possession of their California Driver's License, that license is to be seized by the arresting officer and sent back to the DMV along with a thick stack of paperwork. The offender is given a copy of the paperwork, which clearly states that the subject's license will become suspended effective 30 days from the date of arrest. No signature from the offender is required (there's not even a space for it), but we do obtain a thumbprint to prove identity.

Jcsgt:
She's lucky she's just doing 45 days, and in reality, she probably won't do the whole bit.

Very true when it comes to the LA County Jail system.

The last two Los Angeles County Sheriffs have been under pressure from the courts to alleviate the chronic overcrowding in the jail facilities. For the males, generally speaking 1 day of good behavior = 4 days of sentencing time. I don't know what it is for the females, but with the closure of the Sybil Brand facility near East LA, and the more recent exclusion of females from the main LA County Jail near downtown in order to make more room for the men, the situation for them may be as bad even though they make up a much smaller percentage of the jail population.

CRDF, where Paris will be serving her time, is not a nice place. She'll be segregated like all the other celebrity "guests" of the LA County Jails, but she'll still have some pretty rough females as cellblock mates. And of course, she'll be in lovely Lynnwood, CA :11:

DennisS:
She blew a .08, until recent changes came about, that wasn't even considered drunk driving.

In addition to the "drunk driving" comment I made in Otter's thread, another common misconception is that just because your blood alcohol level is less than .08% (or whatever the local "limit" is), that you can't be arrested for DUI.

That figure is merely a presumption that you are too intoxicated to drive, regardless of actual driving ability. At least in CA, you CAN be arrested if the officer can show that even though you're below "the limit" you are still too intoxicated to safely operate a motor vehicle. It's simply more work on the officer's part.

Under certain circumstances a lower presumptive limit applies. For example, for drivers of commercial vehicles (such as truckers) in CA the presumptive limit is .04%.

I think it's funny that she's going to jail (if she doesn't get out of it). I'm sure she doesn't share my sense of humor. "Paris in Jail" a whole new reality show for her to experience. California actually has upgrades for paying jail cell customers. The judge sent her to one of the jails that doesn't offer the upgrades.

While it's no secret that some celebrities have "paid" to be sent to a different jail (Sean Penn was one), I'm not quite sure what you mean by "upgrades." It's not like they're being put up in one of Paris' hotels.

The Mono County Jail, where Sean Penn served his time for bashing a photographer, may not be as scary as the LA County Mens Central Jail (the opening sequence of "Colors" was shot there, with actual prisoners in the background), but it's still a jail cell and hardly luxurious. And if they pay for their incarceration, all the better.

The problem with taking away most peoples drivers licenses is you almost force them to break the law. Paris Hilton could obviously afford to have someone driver her around so she really has no excuse. But the average person out there can't afford that. I know two people who have gone through the whole DUI process here and they are fined to the point where they have no money, are put on probation, told they need to hold a job or they are in violation of their probation, and then have their license taken away. How do you expect them to get to work? I am aware there are limited drivers licenses that just allow you to go to work but my understanding is those are also quite expensive. From talking to the two people I know and some quick google research I just did to get an occupational license apparently you have to go to court (court fees), pay a lawyer (lawyer fees), pay a bunch of money to the DPS (our version of a DMV), and then on top of that they apparently they usually require you put a breathalyser in your car which I'm sure is very expensive. I understand the need for punishment but you practically force people who aren't wealthy to drive on a suspended license and then throw them in jail when they get caught doing so. So once you got the DUI it appears you're screwed no matter what you do.

For those that are going to respond with, "well they shouldn't have been drinking and driving", I agree. But what was done is done, now you're forcing them to break the law again which is just stupid. I don't claim to have all the answers but our current way of handling this seems pretty broken to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom