So what do we think of Philippine dive shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some are saying PPD authorized recommendations are a necessary part of having a good experience while diving in the PI? I don't agree, it makes me defensive just reading "you should have/could have asked for recommendations".

Sorry, but I didn't interpret this at all the same way!:no: I think they rather insinuated that had he asked for recommendations it could have been avoided... Which is true I'm sure! i think you just misread some of the posts...

Cheers!:coffee:

Sorry, but I didn't interpret this at all the same way!:no: I think they rather insinuated that had he asked for recommendations it could have been avoided... Which is true I'm sure! i think you just misread some of the posts...

Cheers!:coffee:
To Kupu's defense, Jag and BabyD don't exactly write poetry when it comes expressing their point of view... :D

Hell, neither do I!

To Kupu's defense, Jag and BabyD don't exactly write poetry when it comes expressing their point of view... :D

Hell, neither do I!
yeah but you sip wine while posting... w/c is gay and almost classy...

babyd and i... well... we're beer-type people... take a good gulp down, erupt in a glorious burp, then tell the poster where he can stick his mouse pad...

hahahahahahaahaha

peace martian! you cleared things up w/c is mighty decent in my book...

Jag

humm...I was hittin the local moonshine when I put up my earlier post. tasty and potent.

Fair enough comment comment from Codman. I just was a bit put off by the general tone... I know you guys can be extremely helpful when visitors ask for ideas and such.

Cost is still a major factor for me (most of the time) when choosing a dive op, my budget demands it since I try to spend 4-5 months per year in the Philippines. As mentioned, carrying a good set of personal dive gear, and using common sense and experience can provide a way to avoid problems associated with low cost operators. If things really aren't going well, time to move on...But mostly it ends well. If the boat floats and I manage to find a new nudibranch or two, I call it a good dive.

There are still places in the Philippines where good dives can be had for less than P1000 per dive, even without local discounts. Davao and GenSan are high on my list of good value dive locations...And I believe all the dive ops there are safe and enjoyable, no bad eggs.

<burp> ....gulp, gulp.....what did he say? <burp>

No idea

*gulps*

*lifts right buttock and passes wind mightily*

First dive was with someone who was doing her OW dives and it was down to 22 m, stay 1m from the bottom, to see thresher sharks, got to stay out of their line. She shouldnt have been that deep, or with us.

@Martian2

There is a PADI procedure to follow regarding this. Report the organisation concerned to PADI and they will investigate. Also agree with you regarding taking inexperienced divers into overhead environment - this is extremely dangerous - cannot overemphasise this enough!!!! If this is their MO, it must be stopped immediately before a serious accident or death ensues. Maybe some operators from Malapascua are on this forum and can check this out.

Regarding Balicasag, we had exactly the same exprience there 2 years ago with the same operator - DM who could not judge currents. This is highly embarrassing for them.

Regarding your DM - try to organise an internship in Thailand. OK, so you might be working hard for little pay, but you will learn much more this way and fel like you earned it. Get advice of the Thailand forum re who to approach.

We will also echo what others have already said; you will (unfortunately) find poor operators anywhere in the World. Always do some research before you choose a dive shop.

Forums are probably the best place to start. We also suggest that you check out the shop's compressor room, rental equipment and boat when you get there. Ask other divers in the area what their experiences are - all common sense stuff.

Wishing you every success in Thailand.

Back
Top Bottom