So what is too overweight to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah... so long as you are fit to dive, i don't think weight is much of an issue

i have seen what some may call "fat" people (male and female) who are very good divers

i wonder if being overweight affects your air consumption?

H2Andy:
A lot of things affect air consumption. The biggest factor is technique. A large person who has good technique and can dive relaxed will generally use less air than a small person who's constantly finning and sculling to maintain position ... even if the latter is in much better physical shape.

However, all other things being equal, I think it's safe to say that someone who's in good cardio condition will use less air than someone who's not.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Actually, they do.

People criticize divers who are fat ... divers who smoke ... divers who wear pink ... divers in split fins ... divers with consoles ... divers who got certified by (insert your least favorite four-letter acronym) ... warm water divers ... cold water divers ... divers in (insert your least favorite type of BCD) ... vacation divers ... technical divers ...

... did I leave anybody out?

Gets a little tiresome at times ... I thought we all just did this for fun ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Bob

dschulte:
You should consider loosing weight if you dive and a Greenpeace boat follows you.
:rofl3:
Seriously, unless you are a power lifter, or 6'4", if you are in anything larger than a 2xl, you do need to look at your health. I speak from experience. I am 6' and at one point topped 260lbs; I dropped 65lbs and still consider myself out of shape. Your dive buddies depend on your ability to assist in the event of an emergency.
:monkeydan

I love the Greenpeace boat joke. Oh great dive buddy? Do you remember the "whale" reference you made about me on an earlier thread? hehehe...

But tell me something I don't know. I may be fat, but I've never said I shouldn't lose weight. Losing weight (all other things being equal) will benefit my health. No argument on that. But the concept that being overweight excludes a person from being fit...maybe we need to define "fit" better. But other things also benefit my health. Like the fact that I've never smoked, or had a drink in 13 years, or that I laugh every day and enjoy my life.

That's all for now. I'll be out dodging the harpoons. Or the screws from the greenpeace boat...

huskychemist:
I love the Greenpeace boat joke. Oh great dive buddy? Do you remember the "whale" reference you made about me on an earlier thread? hehehe...

But tell me something I don't know. I may be fat, but I've never said I shouldn't lose weight. Losing weight (all other things being equal) will benefit my health. No argument on that. But the concept that being overweight excludes a person from being fit...maybe we need to define "fit" better. But other things also benefit my health. Like the fact that I've never smoked, or had a drink in 13 years, or that I laugh every day and enjoy my life.

That's all for now. I'll be out dodging the harpoons. Or the screws from the greenpeace boat...
That's always the problem with sensitive topics...people get defensive and immediately assume that they're being attacked. Again...that's NOT the point of this thread. Nobody has said that being overweight excludes a person from being fit.....in fact many have provided examples....rather too many if you ask me. We're starting to get to.."Me'thinks the Lady doth protest too much!"
Sure there are heavy people that are perfectly fit. The term "overweight" though already states something wrong - too much...too far..."over"....whatever. These are the people I don't want to be. These are the guys that you regularly see in the Accidents column. These are the people who can barely move off the couch anyway. These aren't the fit ones....and the fit ones aren't a majority. So we're not actually talking about them to start with. (well maybe you guys are...but I'm not..)

@ almi......yes - that's what I'm worried about. My wife doesn't think I'll fit the wetsuit now! :11: I'm just praying that she's wrong...but it doesn't happen often!

@ almi......yes - that's what I'm worried about. My wife doesn't think I'll fit the wetsuit now!
Kim... wheres the wetsuit now? go try it on and then you will can stop wondering and will know. and if you pop over to the fitness thread you will see my latest before & during pics... they might spur you on to join us in the SB fitness challanges

H2Andy:
yeah... so long as you are fit to dive, i don't think weight is much of an issue

i have seen what some may call "fat" people (male and female) who are very good divers

I just saw Anabelle today, the female freediving extraordinaire out where I see her almost every time I dive there. (Pretty funny, someone asked if I was she.:rofl3: ) Every time I see her I marvel at what she can and has done, and looks like an ordinary somewhat overweight middle aged woman. :blinking:

I´ve given this some serious thought because my regular buddy is almost ½foot taller and 50lbs heavier than me. My brother who just got his OW is the same height but 50lbs heavier than me. They are both former swimmers and still in decent cardiovascular shape and strong so while seriously overweight, they are IMO, more fit to dive than a lot of others.

The issue is if I were to be called to rescue them. The in-water stuff won´t be a problem but if I ever end up in a situation where I have to haul them around out of the water I won´t be able to.

They are ok with this and feel that it´s no different from the risk they take anywhere else. They have no confidence that paramedics, firemen etc would ever be able to help them and accept the increased risk as a consequence of their weight. This is something that is true for all "heavy" people, no matter if that weight is fat or muscle.

They accept the added risk and I accept the potentially huge guilt-trip I´ll be on if I were to fail to rescue them in a real situation...

As long as everyone is aware of the consequences of (any) "deficiency" and accept them I don´t see the problem. It´s no different from the added risk of soloing, wreck, cave or decodiving...It´s a personal risk/reward decision and should be treated as such...

Kim:
That's always the problem with sensitive topics...people get defensive and immediately assume that they're being attacked. Again...that's NOT the point of this thread. Nobody has said that being overweight excludes a person from being fit.....
Actually, someone did say just that ... http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2600564&postcount=29

Kim:
in fact many have provided examples....rather too many if you ask me. We're starting to get to.."Me'thinks the Lady doth protest too much!"
Perhaps it's because nobody likes to be stuffed into a stereotype box ...

Kim:
Sure there are heavy people that are perfectly fit.
More accurate to say, perhaps, that there are heavy people who are more fit than some of their less heavy counterparts ... and yet it's the former who are always being told that they're unfit ... in this case, the thread title suggesting "unfit to dive".

Kim:
The term "overweight" though already states something wrong - too much...too far..."over"....whatever.
Something wrong ... compared to what?

Kim:
These are the people I don't want to be. These are the guys that you regularly see in the Accidents column.
Well now ... it would be interesting to see some data on the correlation between being fat and being involved in a diving accident. FWIW - the none of the folks who died on scuba around here last year were fat. The two I knew the most about were rather thin, actually. One ran out of air and the other ran out of common sense.

Perhaps I'm not looking for it ... but I really haven't seen an inordinate amount of discussion in the Accidents forum about people dying on scuba because they were fat.

Kim:
These are the people who can barely move off the couch anyway. These aren't the fit ones....and the fit ones aren't a majority. So we're not actually talking about them to start with. (well maybe you guys are...but I'm not..)
Well now ... we can agree on this much. Diving requires a modest amount of personal fitness. As an instructor, I can tell you that I regularly deal with people who have difficulties doing surface swims or carrying their gear ... I can also tell you it's not always the fat ones. In fact, I don't see the correlation in that respect that some of you apparently do.

Kim:
@ almi......yes - that's what I'm worried about. My wife doesn't think I'll fit the wetsuit now! :11: I'm just praying that she's wrong...but it doesn't happen often!
Then don't worry ... do something about it. I've found the stationary bike to be pretty effective ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
It was more an observation of human nature than diving ... no matter what you do, there will always be people who'll get gratification from criticizing people who aren't like them.
Oh so true

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom