So what makes a good diver anyway?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

george1098

Reaction score
I am pretty new to this sport, but I am very keen, and in my somewhat limited experience as a diver, here is what I think makes a diver a good diver. Feel free to add / critique this list as you see fit.

So in no particular order:

• A good diver should always know what’s going on with his/her-self: Knowing the depth, rate of descent, rate of ascent, amount of air left, air consumption, what direction the currents are pulling them, ect.
  • A good diver should also know what’s going on with his/her buddy: Knowing how much air they have, their air consumption and their general state.. do they look stressed? Could they be narced?, ect.
  • A good diver should have good communication skills with their buddy, both pre-dive and during the dive. Pre dive: knowing hand signals, weight ditching techniques, emergency ascent procedures, gas sharing (octo-using) procedures, and anything ells that may be relevant to the particular dive. During the dive: checking with the buddy frequently, giving the ok sign, exchanging air usage info, ect.
  • A good diver should never blow their safety stop. Even when it’s not necessary, it’s a good habit to practice every dive.
  • A good diver should have good buoyancy control, or at least practice achieving neutral buoyancy.. practice makes perfect.
  • A good diver should be willing and able to abort a dive if they or their buddy are experiencing un-due stress.
  • A good diver should know their buddy’s dive kit as well as their own (they’re pretty much all the same anyway, but there are plenty of minor differences).
  • A good diver should have the comfort of their buddy in mine when planning a dive. You don’t stay under water for an hour and 10 minutes in the dead of winter when you’re diving a dry suit and your buddy dives a wet suit.
  • A good diver should be able to use a friggen dive table.
  • A good diver should try to anticipate trouble before they’re in it.
That’s all I can think of at the moment. Please one or two (or more) of your own contributions.

A good diver is one that thinks while diving and always strives to improve his/her diving skills.

A good diver plans their dive and dives their plan

A good diver checks out scubaboard to see what is going on in the world of diving:D

[*]A good diver should never blow their safety stop. Even when it’s not necessary, it’s a good habit to practice every dive

Pretty good list, but I can think of times where I would blow a safety stop and even a short deco stop. They are rare, but they do happen. When the words "never" or "always" are used, it's usually not a true statement.

Pretty good list, but I can think of times where I would blow a safety stop and even a short deco stop. They are rare, but they do happen. When the words "never" or "always" are used, it's usually not a true statement.

I've blown a safety stop or to as well in my diving career, but I still try to keep up with them, unless I REALLY need to pee!:mooner:

I've blown a safety stop or to as well in my diving career, but I still try to keep up with them, unless I REALLY need to pee!:mooner:

a good diver can pee while doing their safety stop...:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

sorry, couldn't resist

Diving, diving, and more diving make a diver good. Nothing beats experience.

ive always found divers that are so willing to show/teach/help/mentor me have been good divers

oh,
So what makes a good diver anyway?

and colour co-ordinated gear!!!!!

This should be good :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom