So what's the deal with Fantasy Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My son and I are headed there in April 2010. It is our first time to visit there, and we are looking forward to it. I hope it is as special as you guys have described.

Nice place in many ways but the septic system would make ancient Rome cringe. The resort smells like poop during high tide.

At least it did in 2001. Perhaps they have discovered modern plumbing over the last few years.

Nice place in many ways but the septic system would make ancient Rome cringe. The resort smells like poop during high tide.

At least it did in 2001. Perhaps they have discovered modern plumbing over the last few years.

I've been to FI more than 50 times (I'm a 10 minute boat ride away) in the last several years and have never had the pleasure of smelling the septic. Most likely the issue has been fixed.

Comments on this thread have been very good. I agree with the original poster that some of the reviews on various travel sites have been horrid regarding the rooms, food, bugs, etc. :angrymob:
If you go there primarily for the diving, flora, fauna and awesome views -- with low expectations of everything else -- you should be fine.

The kitchen staff is frustrated due to complaints. The chef is doing the very best he can with what he has to work with. Management has purse strings pulled tight. Each week they are given a specific budget for provisioning, based on how much money is coming in. So, if you go there on a special or a 2 for 1 deal, don't expect gourmet meals or lobster. He just can't afford to buy the better seafood, beef, ingredients, etc.

I was there this past Tuesday chilling out. There were only 30 guests and 4 divers. Several of them were from Canada and Mexico and there were missionaries on R&R. I talked with 9 of them and they all seemed content. With over 200 people expected to arrive this weekend, everyone from the dive staff to the bartender seemed happy about business picking up.

The new owners are doing minor remodeling very slowly. Hmmm. island time. mañana -- could mean tomorrow, next week, next year or the next decade.:rofl3:

I don't know why the mosquitoes were so bad there at dusk inside near the bar. I didn't see any standing water although it had rained the day before. The ones that come out after dark could carry malaria, so definitely spray yourselves down and examine your room before retiring.

I've booked a local vacation at FI (Nov 21-28), specifically to become more comfortable under the water with 3+ dives a day. :idk: The price was right & I haven't been diving much in the last few years - - due to house construction. Don't know for sure if I'll stay over every night, but I'll file a trip report here and on Trip Advisor.

My husband and I have been to many other dive resorts and we keep returning to Fantasy. We like the diving, the price, the convenience, and the lovely setting. Our first time there was 1991 and we have seen the changes over the years. The most consistent thing about the resort has been the well-organized dive operation. The dive masters, for the most part, are excellent at pointing out the small critters you will find there. Do not go expecting to see big things - sharks, turtles, even rays. Two weeks ago we did see 8 sea horses, 1 angry-looking toadfish, several eels, and I almost sat on two squid. I like the fact that the morning surface interval is at the dive shop - potty-break time. The walls in front of the resort are beautiful and the coral and sponges are fantastic. The boats need new motors, but are comfortable and have more room than the modern fiberglass types. We have never had any gear stolen. We take care of our own gear. The dive master or the boat captain are very helpful in pulling me back up the ladder. (I have two replaced knees and I'm 73.)
The rooms are comfortable and those in the newest wing, furthest away from the dive shop, are very nice. Food was not wonderful, but there was plenty of it. There is a nice pool and a lovely beach, just bring your Off.
I think the success of a dive trip may depend to quite an extent on the people you have on your boat. We were fortunate to have a great group on the last trip. The time before we were not so fortunate and it colored our reaction to the resort.

I think the success of a dive trip may depend to quite an extent on the people you have on your boat. We were fortunate to have a great group on the last trip. The time before we were not so fortunate and it colored our reaction to the resort.

Very well said.

I also think the success of a trip, especially one to lesser developed countries, depends a great deal upon the attitude of those traveling. If you go with an open mind and employ an easy going attitude then the likelihood for an enjoyable trip is greatly enhanced.

I've booked a local vacation at FI (Nov 21-28), specifically to become more comfortable under the water with 3+ dives a day. :idk: The price was right & I haven't been diving much in the last few years - - due to house construction. Don't know for sure if I'll stay over every night, but I'll file a trip report here and on Trip Advisor.

Thanks for your feedback. I look forward to your trip report. Have fun and be safe!

Not completely fixed.
I was there in March and there was one night in particular, sitting at the bar the smell of poop was prevalent. A small price to pay, though, for all the great diving. I'd go again in a heartbeat.

I'm a new member, so hope I am replying to your questions correctly.

I just got back from my third trip to Fantasy Island in the last 3 years -- with respect to your questions:

(1) upwards of 19 divers -- on my last trip in October 2009, there were 12 divers on the boat; other times it has been around the same number. If the boat has that many divers it is probably because a group wanted to stay together and then they added a few extras to the group. Just ask Robert (the person in charge of the dive operation) not to place you with a big group.

(2) very little surface interval between dives 1 and 2 -- this hasn't been my experience. The first dive is usually at 9 and the second dive at 11:30. From the dock to the dive site is usually, at most, a 10 minute boat ride. The dives last between 50 minutes and one hour. You then go back to the dock and hang around for the second dive. If you have any concerns, you are usually under the boat for the last 10 minutes of the dive (or very close) so you can go up early.

(3) water bottles on the boat are filled with tap water. I don't know how they are filled (I drank out of them without any issues); however, you can buy a bottle of water at the dive shop for $1 dollar or fill a water bottle from your room (there is a pitcher of water which is not tap water in the refrig and it is filled every day when your room is cleaned).

(4) gear getting lost or stolen -- the place where you keep your gear is accessible by anyone during the day (it is locked at night). I have never had any problems but if you are concerned, you can bring your reg, mask etc. back to the room at night.

Other things to keep in mind:

- There is a great pool.
- Some bar drinks are included in the price (beer, wine, basic bar drinks).
- The food is okay but gets boring after 7 days -- always eat a good breakfast because they have an omelet station.
-- The diving is wonderful and you will enjoy it (try to get them to take you to Calvin's Crack).
-- Most but not all the DM's are really, really good - the boat captains are wonderful.
-- Bring insect repellant when at the beach and wear it.
-- Ask for rooms in the newer section (my room was 222, I think, and was a very nice large double with a view of the water).
-- Watch out for the monkeys - they are very aggressive.
--

go simple and try Guava Grove Villas, has great reviews, good managers and super food at affordable pricing, kitchenettes let you take home basics for early mornings and the pool bar is a regular meeting place for expats on the island. Lower key, affordable, safe and fun and only 5 minutes to West End. Diving is recommended with Native Sons with new boats and never the same site visited if requested and committed for the week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom