Votes: 29 30.9%
  • Government Regulation Will Occur

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Other

Votes: 22 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't assume change will be for the better. Next big advancement will be a self adjusting unit. Diver will puch in desired depth, unit will continuosly add and subtract air to maintain neutral bouyancy and will then begin a controlled ascent with 3 min stop at 15'. In this way, anyone will be able to dive like a pro without any training.

Otter once bubbled...
I thought you would say that the next big thing would be spring straps....but then I looked at your picture and noticed you had standard straps on your fins....=-)
I measured - I would need a 17" spring strap for those fins and my boots :) I'm changing the fins as soon as I find a pair that fit my drysuit.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
eventually a PADI DIR specialty :tease:

okay kidding on the last one

don't kid. If DIR gets that popular not only will PADI teach it but they will probably buy the WKPP and put a picture of GI on the cover of the manual. Imagine...DIR resorts, resort DIR classes, t-shirts, hats, cofee cups, little GI3 DIR action figures with accessories. There will be a DIR OW, DIR AOW, DIR rescue and DIR DM. I'll bet they even have a DIR bubble maker for the kids. Don't forget the specialties like DIR boat, DIR full face mask, DIR dreger rebreather and for the theme park workers a DIR character diver class.

The possibilities are endless...2 day guaranteed DIR certifications on every corner.

Of course there is a downside. Since scubapro and aqualung will still be running the dive industry so the definition of DIR will need to be expanded to include the jacket bcs that these companies make. I'm certain the scubapro split fin and air2 will be DIR also.

gfisher4792 once bubbled...
I think the whole US LDS/online sales conflict will come to a head and the manufacturers will have to acknowledge they sell their wares in a free market society.

I agree.

Pretty soon one of the major players will take the internet seriously as a distribution network and fight fire with fire, undercutting even Leisurepro with factory direct sales over the internet.

Once the first one takes the plunge then costs of dive gear will go down dramatically as the others jump on teh band wagon.

A number of fusions and bankrupties will follow as companies scramble to leverage economies of scale. Profit margins will vaporize, quality will suffer and the good after sales service we are used to will be a thing of the past. 2 or 3 major players will survive world wide with names like Aquasuunto and Scubalung. Their 0800 numbers will never work.

The free market will really start to kick in then......

Dive shops will suffer and many will go out of business as the manufacturers abandon their traditional distribution network. When this happens a flood of 2nd hand compressors will hit the market and compressor manufacturers will sell few--maybe *very* few--new units as dive shops go out of business. This will be taken-out of the hides of the customers too. Does $20 for an air fill sound rediculous?

The price of diver training will also skyrocket as dive shops can no longer subsidize traing by selling gear. The availability of training will be reduced as only major coastal locations will be able to support any kind of scuba industry, PADI's profit margins will drop as the number of certifications plummets putting more price pressure on dive shops. In fact the training will become *so* expensive that "freelancers"--many of whom *used* to be instructors before the market caved-in--will start doing it for themselves. If this takes hold the government will step in and regulate it and we'll all have to salute, and shout "GOD BLESS AMERICA" before we do the giant stride. I'm really looking forward to that part.

In America you'll be lucky and unlucky. The lucky bit is that the YMCA will survive this trend and become the dominant training agency. The unlucky part is that they'll have to teach CMAS to get around government regulations and the American government will black list them for going French, label the YMCA a terrorist organisation and claim that it stands for "Young Muslims Crucifying Americans". They'll also send bus loads of FBI agents to run around YMCA locations sniffing for croissants and planting weapons of mass desctruction to be found later (or maybe just lying about it--that seems to work too). [note: this is intended as (cynical) humour]

On the up side, asking customers to pay 10 times as much for training might just raise people's expectations of the quality and this could actually be helpful ....

R..

yknot once bubbled...
Don't assume change will be for the better. Next big advancement will be a self adjusting unit. Diver will puch in desired depth, unit will continuosly add and subtract air to maintain neutral bouyancy and will then begin a controlled ascent with 3 min stop at 15'. In this way, anyone will be able to dive like a pro without any training.
Someone already came out with that in the UK - it was a flop. About 2 years ago. Didn't do the controlled ascent, but you could dial-a-depth.

Rebreathers will never replace OC scuba. How can you have a bubble maker class without the bubles.

There will be online certifications complete with virtual dives.

They will finally realise that divers prefer walking on the botom to swimming so they will do away with those clumsy hard to walk in fins and go back to weighted boots. Divers will wear infrared masks so they can see through the silt

How 'bout Heads up displays in your mask so you never have to look at your spg or computer again.
The ideal of fantasy scuba will take off well also. I am going to draft lamar hires in the first round.

Anchor lines will have a "donut" around them. This donut has a computer that controls depth and has regs on it with the computer controlling the gas mixture. The donut also hold divers to it.

Divers will go to the Andrea Doria, attach themselves to the donut, put the reg in their mouth, and then descend to the ship. Tech divers (acting as DM's) will attach scooters to the divers.

These scooters are control by radio wave beacons placed around the ship. The scooters have a computer that controls their depth and travels a pre programed path.

When the scooter trail is done. The DM's get the divers to re-join the donut.

It then ascends, does the proper deco, uses the right gas mixtures,......

No certification is required.

double125's once bubbled...
How 'bout Heads up displays in your mask so you never have to look at your spg or computer again.
The ideal of fantasy scuba will take off well also. I am going to draft lamar hires in the first round.

I received a Diver's Direct catalog a couple of weeks ago that previewed this very item. Apparently, Oceanic has one they have developed for the military- still no public model.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom