Votes: 29 30.9%
  • Government Regulation Will Occur

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Other

Votes: 22 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG once bubbled...
Anchor lines will have a "donut" around them. This donut has a computer that controls depth and has regs on it with the computer controlling the gas mixture. The donut also hold divers to it.

Divers will go to the Andrea Doria, attach themselves to the donut, put the reg in their mouth, and then descend to the ship. Tech divers (acting as DM's) will attach scooters to the divers.

These scooters are control by radio wave beacons placed around the ship. The scooters have a computer that controls their depth and travels a pre programed path.

When the scooter trail is done. The DM's get the divers to re-join the donut.

It then ascends, does the proper deco, uses the right gas mixtures,......

No certification is required.

Isn't this what they do now in Bakini?

yknot once bubbled...

I received a Diver's Direct catalog a couple of weeks ago that previewed this very item. Apparently, Oceanic has one they have developed for the military- still no public model.

I wonder what they do for divers like me who need bifocals. Do they have the display out at arms lengths?

dsgobie once bubbled...
RB... When the cost of the unit and cost of training come down.. I think you will start to see a lot more divers on them.

Do you think this is a good thing?

CC rbs will become more common. I think they are cool, so I think it's a good thing.

RBs are an affordable way to dive TRIMIX too.

Doppler once bubbled...
Water-proof bread so we can enjoy a vegemite sandwich during safety stops or deco.

Enjoy and vegemite in the same sentence?? Yeeeccchhh...

As far as the next big things, I can see trimix becoming as accepted and widely used as Nitrox. Not too long ago nitrox was controversial, there wasn't much info publicly available, it was a technical thing...now you can get a padi cert for it. Trimix isn't honestly that god awful difficult and I can see it getting taught and used more and more.

Rebreathers though.....ehhhh...maybe. They are going to have to get a LOT cheaper. Right now, some of the new rebreathers that are actually worth owning are really, really expensive. Yeah, you can get a SCR for 3k, but why even bother. If you are going to get a rebreather, you might as well get one you can actually do some serious diving with.

think the whole US LDS/online sales conflict will come to a head and the manufacturers will have to acknowledge they sell their wares in a free market society.

To draw an analogy; interestingly enough the music industry just lost a class action lawsuit about price inflation on cd's.

Does this ring a bell with anyone about MARP agreements at your LDS?

If store owners were to meet and set a minimum pricing it is considered colusion and is illegal. If a manufacturer does it is just doing business.

Oceanic just sold out to catalog sales with Diver's Direct.

MASS-Diver once bubbled...
CC rbs will become more common. I think they are cool, so I think it's a good thing.

RBs are an affordable way to dive TRIMIX too.

Think about it, honestly. The level of risk goes up when you switch to closed circuit. They have their place, but it certainly isn't for your everyday diving. Just because they're 'cool' doesn't mean they're necessary. And trimix... why do you need trimix? IMO, you should have a need for trimix (and CCs) and not just a desire.

Cornfed

cornfed once bubbled...
And trimix... why do you need trimix? IMO, you should have a need for trimix (and CCs) and not just a desire.
I need to stay clearheaded at 130' :eek:ut:

I second the trimix - GUE (and another agency to follow, was it TDI?) has already come out with a recreational Triox course.

Heck, I wish I could dive Trimix on dives starting around 100-120 feet. It would be cool have training that would allow me to use Trimix in a similar fashion to nitrox. Get the clear headedness (is that even a word???) that trimix offers without doing true decompression diving. I don't necessarily want to go to 300 feet on mix, but I wouldn't mind the advantages of it around 150 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom