Votes: 29 30.9%
  • Government Regulation Will Occur

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Other

Votes: 22 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cornfed once bubbled...

Think about it, honestly. The level of risk goes up when you switch to closed circuit. They have their place, but it certainly isn't for your everyday diving. Just because they're 'cool' doesn't mean they're necessary. And trimix... why do you need trimix? IMO, you should have a need for trimix (and CCs) and not just a desire.

Cornfed

The guys I know who dive Inspirations would disagree with you about the saftey factor. If you hav the cash I don't see why rbs could not be used for "everyday diving" - whatever that pharse means.

I think that for diving much below 100' there are alot of advantages in using TRIMIX (you can actually use air tables for alot of rec TRIMIX diving).

IMO the cost of the helium is a legit reason to look into rbs (or your own fill station).

I don't understand the differene between a need and a desire in this case. I guess I don't need to dive below a 100', I guess I don't need to dive at all, I just want to because it's cool.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
I need to stay clearheaded at 130' :eek:ut:

I second the trimix - GUE (and another agency to follow, was it TDI?) has already come out with a recreational Triox course.

I'm not one of those people suggesting that trimix is some sort of "voodoo" gas. Let me try to make myself a little clearer. We have people (in another thread) saying to many people are doing deep dives (100+ ft) that aren't ready. They have a problem then freak out and get a free ride to the hospital. Then we have people here saying, "trimix is cool... I wanna dive trimix like nitrox!" What I've read about trimix/triox/triwhatever suggests that if you freak out and bolt for the surface on He you'll be in worse shape then if you'd done it on nitrox.

I think mix has its place, I just don't think that place is the average diver.

Cornfed

Ps same goes for RBs....

cornfed once bubbled...

I'm not one of those people suggesting that trimix is some sort of "voodoo" gas. Let me try to make myself a little clearer. We have people (in another thread) saying to many people are doing deep dives (100+ ft) that aren't ready. They have a problem then freak out and get a free ride to the hospital. Then we have people here saying, "trimix is cool... I wanna dive trimix like nitrox!" What I've read about trimix/triox/triwhatever suggests that if you freak out and bolt for the surface on He you'll be in worse shape then if you'd done it on nitrox.

I think mix has its place, I just don't think that place is the average diver.

Cornfed

Ps same goes for RBs....

then SCUBA in general isn't right for them. Some JA that goes screaming to the surface is probably going to die of an embolism not of the bends, so it really doesn't matter what gas they are on. I'm not sure TRIMIX is anymore abusable than NITROX, afterall in your world of these horrible divers, anyone could get a 40% fill and dive to 130' and take an O2 tox hit.

Inexperieced divers doing advanced dives is a problem, but, don't blame the gas.

MASS-Diver once bubbled...

I don't understand the differene between a need and a desire in this case. I guess I don't need to dive below a 100', I guess I don't need to dive at all, I just want to because it's cool.

You're right you don't need to dive below 100 ft nor do you need to dive at all.

Most of my off shore diving is in the mid-Atlantic. There is plenty of stuff to see in the 60-85 ft range and I'll be honest, there is a lot of stuff in the 100-140 ft range that seems really interesting. And I've looked into these rec trimix programs.

There is a difference between making those dives because you're interested in them and making them because doing so makes you look "cool".

Cornfed

Some JA that goes screaming to the surface is probably going to die of an embolism not of the bends, so it really doesn't matter what gas they are on.
good point.

Inexperieced divers doing advanced dives is a problem, but, don't blame the gas.

I'm not blaming the gas, I'm blaming the diving culture which promotes these dives as easy and something anyone can do.

Cornfed

cornfed once bubbled...

good point.

I'm not blaming the gas, I'm blaming the diving culture which promotes these dives as easy and something anyone can do.

Cornfed

I don't think it's the "culture" as much as the industry. Tech diving is being pushed as a natural progression from rec diving and I think this is a huge problem, but, I think it's a result of companies trying to make money, not regular divers going around talking about how easy it is to dive to 200'

Something like :
a HUD (Heads Up Display) display in rec. masks will probably be next.

Caymaniac:)

Some JA that goes screaming to the surface is probably going to die of an embolism not of the bends

Not if he screams all the way. :D

I don't think it's the "culture" as much as the industry. Tech diving is being pushed as a natural progression from rec diving and I think this is a huge problem, but, I think it's a result of companies trying to make money, not regular divers going around talking about how easy it is to dive to 200'

I disagree. Tech diving & cave diving are common place. Everyone knows about them and after hearing some many stories it seems easy.

I think the driving force is other divers. Maybe not consiously but it's definately other divers. The industry is just willing to accomodate.

Cornfed

Start with a HUD in the mask that is fed off of wireless signals from the reg/computer transmitter.

Add information about your buddy's condition is also put up on your mask. Or better yet, if you're a DM, you have underwater SONAR locations of all of your divers, available at a moment's notice, including their condition (SPG, bottom time, etc.). All controlled by a wireless thumb-operated trackball on the finger. Err, how about pupil activated/controlled?

How about submarines becoming more affordable/widely used for recreation?

How about BCs that monitor vital functions?

How about the availability of advanced medical functions on the boat?

Underwater cellphones? err, scratch that.

OH MAN, two words..... UNDERWATER PAINTBALL!!!

Helmet cams with live video feed?

How about underwater MP3s?

How about underwater MP5s? err, hrmm, wouldn't be legal in the US anyway.

Smaller scandium scuba tanks that hold more air, but are the size of a pony?

Robocop, only underwater.

Do they make a camelback system for scuba? Would it work?

How about a spare tire that doubles for scuba equipment? If Bond has one, so should we.

Underwater cable modem?

Underwater ham radio?

Self-heating wetsuits?

Computerized AI scuba buddies?

Take your dog scuba diving with you?

Underwater shooting competitions? I can see it know, IDPA matches at 30ft.

Form fitting wetsuits like the clothes in Back to the Future II... how about instant pizza like in BTTF2,... wait, might make my gut worse.

Wetsuits you can fold and stuff out of the way?

New olympic scuba dive event? Not sure what the rules would be,.. me being a gun nut, I'd say diving and shooting. :)

A DCS pill?

Hrmmm,... time to snap back to reality... that's better.

Back
Top Bottom