SoCal dive spot suggestion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I've been looking for oil rig diving around 16/17th of May but so far can't find any charters on this date. Unless someone local who wants to go along with me?

I may alternatively go for wreck / kelp diving instead. If this not looking too promising I will join the local dive club for shore dive.

How does the local charter normally works? Do they pair you up on board before you go diving or you are on your own?
On a California dive boat you are pretty much on your own, but on almost all boats it's pretty easy to buddy up or tag along. If you pm me your number I'd be happy to keep you posted on shore dives or boat dives myself or my buddies may be on on those dates. We dive waterhorse which is most likely the charter you'll take to the Yukon, and Pacific star (which does oil Riggs) frequently power scuba is an excellent club that a lot of us dive with too , and you could get a guarantee morning dive on any Saturday at LaJolla shores

---------- Post added April 18th, 2015 at 09:15 PM ----------

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I've been looking for oil rig diving around 16/17th of May but so far can't find any charters on this date. Unless someone local who wants to go along with me?

I may alternatively go for wreck / kelp diving instead. If this not looking too promising I will join the local dive club for shore dive.

How does the local charter normally works? Do they pair you up on board before you go diving or you are on your own?

The sun diver express is doing a rig trip on the 17th, goo boat, have been on it many times

Sundiver | Dive southern California

Thanks everyone. I have booked myself on Sundiver charter on 17th May. Ta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing to be aware of is the DM stays on the boat on SoCal dive boats. And they don't do a lot of hand-holding, they figure you signed up because you were able to do the dives. I'd bring/buy some sort of DMSB/Safety Sausage also because if you get blown off the rig they're not going to un-hook and go after you until everyone else is back on board.

It is really cool diving though, big pelagics feeding right in front of you...

Scuba.com is one of the larger online retailers in the U.S. Their showroom/warehouse is in Irvine, Ca (Orange County) If you're staying in the L.A. area and planning to either drop down to dive around Laguna (Shaws Cove etc.) or San Diego, you could detour past it pretty easily. I don't actually know what's inside the store as I've only drove past it. You've got to assume if they have it on their website that someone would be able to walk in back if they have what you want. Scuba.com Retail Store in Orange County, Irvine

There's also a lot of Sport Chalet's in the LA/SD Metro area. Different levels of dive gear inventory though. We have one here that closed their scuba dept. completely, another that's about 1/2 the store. Scuba and Snorkel Gear - Sport Chalet

If you do get a chance to head down to San Diego for the Kelp, Marissa, Humboldt or Lois Ann dive the Point Loma Kelp Beds pretty often. California Dive Boats : The Official Page It's pretty cool diving, you never know what you'll come across traveling through. We've seen all sorts of sharks, tiny lethal cone shells on the stalks, the usual fish etc. Once my buddy encountered a whale out there. Don't surface in the Kelp and think you're going to swim back to the boat - that's a huge mistake. Drop down and stay near the bottom - it's not very deep - when swimming around if possible. If you get caught up in it, don't thrash around just reach around and cut/break it off. You'll notice the boats moor off the edge in clear water - there's a reason for that.

When they're not doing that it's often Wreck Alley. Yukon or Ruby E. are good.

They do go to the Coronados Islands occasionally also but the Kelp there is all gone, overfished on the Mexican side so once the fish were gone, the critters that cut the Kelp holdfasts took over and decimated the forest. Shame - it was lush 30 years ago - I certified there - now it's barren. The Sea Lion rookery is still there though - that can be a whole lot of fun. They'll go after anything bright/shiny, pull on things, get face to face etc. There's some videos on Youtube.

All about San Diego/La Jolla diving - Divebums - A San Diego Dive Website

Last edited:
It's pretty cool diving, you never know what you'll come across traveling through. We've seen all sorts of sharks, tiny lethal cone shells on the stalks,...

San Diego has tiny, lethal cone shells??? Really now? 30+ years of diving here and I'm STILl learning new things about SD diving.

*Holding tummy in hearty laugh*

Bill

If you're specifically looking for Scubapro Jet Fins then you'll have to look for a Scubapro dealer.
Try googling it for Southern California and see what comes up.
Other than that my experience in SoCal is pretty limited so unfortunately I can't really add anything except to say have a great time. I love it down there and it's a nice break from the cold rough water in NorCal

San Diego has tiny, lethal cone shells??? Really now? 30+ years of diving here and I'm STILl learning new things about SD diving.

*Holding tummy in hearty laugh*

Bill
I didn't say lethal to what. However, grab one, put it in your wetsuit pocket and let us know how that goes...

Cone shells are well-known since they possess a powerful sting used to capture prey. Many have been fatally wounded when handling live cones, especially those that feed upon mollusks and fishes. If one must, the least dangerous method is to hold the shell at the widest point and be prepared to let go if the animal extends itself. Never place live cones in a pants pocket, wetsuit, or bag close to the body. Cones are prey-specific, feeding upon worms, mollusks, or small fish, those that eat worms having the weakest venom, probably comparable to a bee sting. The sting comes from a hollow harpoon dart also known as the radula. It is rapidly thrust into prey by the highly extensible proboscis then venom is pumped into the wound, paralyzing the animal instantaneously. The barbed harpoon tip allows the cone to draw the entire animal into the mouth.

I didn't say lethal to what. However, grab one, put it in your wetsuit pocket and let us know how that goes...

Following that logic, I'll have to watch out for the lethal Sheephead, sarcastic fringehead, and the ever-dangerous Garibaldi. (They're all lethal... to SOMEthing... and can nip us if we provoke.)

Disingenuous nonsense.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom