Socorros on the Rocio del Mar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We stayed at El Encanto Inn and they did suffer some damage but they did have a lot of rooms already repaired. Our room was HUGE!!!!!!!! Very nice place in a great neighborhood! Have a great time!
I am going on the Socorros trip on the Rocio Del Mar next month. I am still looking at which hotel to stay in the night before the Rocio leaves. We will want something close to the marina and fairly nice. I have tried to make reservations with the El Encanto Inn which was suggested by the Rocio staff but am having trouble getting a confirmation. I know some hotels are not functional yet from the hurricane earlier this year. Where did you stay in Cabo the night before you left? Any others have any suggestions on good hotels close to the marina?

We didn't do any diving off the swim step. It was all from the RIBs. We did swim BACK to the boat a time or two.
Thanks. Can you tell me what they were like? Did you gear-up on the boat and enter the RIB or was there enough room to kit-up on the smaller boat? Are there ladders to climb back with gear on?

We geared up on the ship and walked down to the RIBs and boarded them. After the dive, we doffed gear in the water and the boatmen hauled the rigs up, then we got back on. I don't remember any ladders, but I've gotten on and off a lot of boats this year, so I could be wrong. The crew would not let us carry any of our equipment back onto the ship; they brought everything up and put it back at our stations.

After the dive, we doffed gear in the water and the boatmen hauled the rigs up, then we got back on. I don't remember any ladders.

Donner und Blitzen! Just about the only thing I dislike about liveaboard diving is the practice of some boats to use ladderless dinghies. This is common practice in the Red Sea and very inconvenient. I was hoping that a diver-friendly setup like the RdM would have thought of that. Maybe they have.....they are known to make improvements based on diver preferences, aren't they? Like the refurbishment of cabins to create more space?

I hate that arrangement for several reasons. First off, most divers would have handed in the camera kit before removing the gear, which is then pulled on board and strewn about. Finally, the divers have to haul themselves on board with varying degrees of clumsiness, almost invariably landing on top of the gear. With that sort of arrangement, there is high potential for kit damage, especially camera kit. I have seen it happen a few times, sadly once to myself when another diver broke my strobe.

On the RDM the pangas had a ladder that you climbed up after you took off all of your gear! The crew will carry your gear down to the pangas if you request it and help you gear up before they shove off .
Thanks. Can you tell me what they were like? Did you gear-up on the boat and enter the RIB or was there enough room to kit-up on the smaller boat? Are there ladders to climb back with gear on?

On the RDM the pangas had a ladder that you climbed up after you took off all of your gear! The crew will carry your gear down to the pangas if you request it and help you gear up before they shove off .

That's great to know, thanks Jake. I'd rather kit-up on the boat leaving just the fins for the tenders. But the climb-back ladder is a great relief.

You can PM me if you have any more questions!!
That's great to know, thanks Jake. I'd rather kit-up on the boat leaving just the fins for the tenders. But the climb-back ladder is a great relief.

Sorry about the misinformation; as I said, I've dived off a lot of small boats this year, and I couldn't remember ladders. However, I didn't remember bruised ribs, either, which is what I inevitably get when trying to get back on RIBs without one :)

Maybe but some can even hurt their shoulders and as for me, complete recovery will probably not be seen. Further because of those shoulder injuries, don't know if I can even get in one at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom