SOFT or SOLID WEIGHTS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dariuszpl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have a quick question for you about choice of weights.
I own weight integrated bc and have not purchased the weights for it yet.
My question is should I get soft or solid weights and why. I gues I could use solid weighs both in my BC and on the weight belt etc.,
Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Dariuszpl:
Hi everyone! I have a quick question for you about choice of weights.
I own weight integrated bc and have not purchased the weights for it yet.
My question is should I get soft or solid weights and why. I gues I could use solid weighs both in my BC and on the weight belt etc.,
Any input will be greatly appreciated.

I was using the expensive soft weights for a long time in my weight-integrated BC.

Moved to a BP/W and I use the ACB - sort of a waist band mounted weight integration system.

I lost some weight (lard), got a bigger tank - long story short, I use less weight. I've found that the hard weight (old school lead blocks) is easier to load, takes up less room, and is just easier to work with. Its not as cool, or as sexy (whatever any of that means) but whatever.

The sad thing is, I have a lot of soft weights (LOTS - all colors and sizes) - and the lead-block hard weights I use today I FOUND on a dive. So I have all this expensive soft weight laying around... well, except the ones Wrinkles borrows and doesn't return. :wink:

Save your cash - go with the hard weights.

---
Ken

Hard weights. Waaay more bang for your bug. You can use webbing for a million things.

I drop things. I spill coffee. I bump into stuff. The soft weights don't hurt nearly as much coming down on a toe - or so my has buddy told me. They don't damage his boat as much either.
However, I think the solid lead ones are heavier. :wink:

Rick Inman:
However, I think the solid lead ones are heavier. :wink:

There is no doubt - a 5# block weighs more than a 5# bag 'o shot. :wink:

---
Ken

I agree with Rick's point. I was also at the same boat for my SP BCD. I went with Soft one.

Pros: easy fit to any shaped pocket (big advantage) and soft feel.
Cons: slightly more price. some scums after every dives (it is the worst part).

I saw the soft weight in the neoperene pocket, not mesh pocket. It is really cool, but rip off price.

soft weights are awful imo. Mainly because they are less versitile. You can't put them on a weight belt, unless you buy the expensive pocket thing. And they are always wet. The more comfortable thing? I never notice my weights. Maybe if you are just wearing a skin but then you probably aren't going to need any weight anyway.

Hard wieghts are just for people who can not afford to get the best equipment. I for one would not trust MY life on some outdated piece of lead. I mean IT is a PIECE of life support Equipment!

What if something happens to those solid bars at 100' how much is that couple dollars savings worth to you then?

I guess it all matters on how much your LIFE is worth to you, personally I"D NEVER dive with any wieghts but the most expensive ones in the store.

I like the softies 'cause they fit better in the pockets of the weight belt a good buddy gave me :D Oh... and I also like 'em 'cause when I bought my first gear "package" from the LDS (most of which I no longer use and really need to list on ebay :D), I was able to talk the owner into throwing in the 36# of weight I "needed" for the weight integrated BC at the time, rather than paying his $2/lb retail for them :11:

Orlando Eric:
Hard wieghts are just for people who can not afford to get the best equipment. I for one would not trust MY life on some outdated piece of lead. I mean IT is a PIECE of life support Equipment!

What if something happens to those solid bars at 100' how much is that couple dollars savings worth to you then?

I guess it all matters on how much your LIFE is worth to you, personally I"D NEVER dive with any wieghts but the most expensive ones in the store.

Be sure to have them o2 clean.
:wink:
Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom