SOFT or SOLID WEIGHTS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dariuszpl:
Hi everyone! I have a quick question for you about choice of weights.
I own weight integrated bc and have not purchased the weights for it yet.
My question is should I get soft or solid weights and why. I gues I could use solid weighs both in my BC and on the weight belt etc.,
Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Why buy weights at all? You can't travel with them? Do you do a lot of diving where you live?

I have/use both. In my weight intergrated BC, it really does not matter. The hard ones may be a little easier to get in. Some BC's that use the slide in pouches do better with soft weights as they conform to the pouch curve. I also have a weight belt than has zippered pockets in which I can use either hard or soft but believe me, the soft ones conform to your back and sides a lot better than the hard ones do.

Zeagle has odd shaped weight pockets and the weights don't fit into slots so the just lay in the pouches. the way hard weights lay in the pouches hard corners can stick out and when you put down the BC they can bang against things and damage the fabric. I follow zeagle's recomendation and usually use soft weight in the bc. Some of the guys I dive with have small holes in their pouches where the hard weight has worn through.

Now I usually dive a BP/W and I use a belt with hard weight.

TT :wink:

Orlando Eric:
Hard wieghts are just for people who can not afford to get the best equipment. I for one would not trust MY life on some outdated piece of lead. I mean IT is a PIECE of life support Equipment!

What if something happens to those solid bars at 100' how much is that couple dollars savings worth to you then?

I guess it all matters on how much your LIFE is worth to you, personally I"D NEVER dive with any wieghts but the most expensive ones in the store.

So I take it you wouldn't use rocks gathered at the dive site right before the dive. :wink: I agree, sand-filled ziplocks do conform to the pockets better and you don't have to be as picky about the shape of the rock. :D I always wondered why other divers were looking at me with funny expressions... :11:

I have hard weights that work just fine in my intergrated BC. I have also mase soft weights from lead shot and those short foot hose my wife uses. Have no prefrence.

Dariuszpl:
Hi everyone! I have a quick question for you about choice of weights.
I own weight integrated bc and have not purchased the weights for it yet.
My question is should I get soft or solid weights and why. I gues I could use solid weighs both in my BC and on the weight belt etc.,
Any input will be greatly appreciated.

I use soft weights because they can form fit (weight pockets, curvature of your waist if using a belt, etc.). I travel with mine because I prefer them so much more than the bricks.

--Matt

Like stated in this thread, I use softweights due to them conforming to a curved weight integrated pouch (SP Knighthawk). When diving with hardweights in the Knighthawk pouches I had way to much shift. With the softweights my weight doesn't shift around on me mid-dive.

Matt

I find shot filled backs (ie soft) far more comfortable around my waist than solid lead blocks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom