SOFT or SOLID WEIGHTS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used both types, but prefer lead weights since they usually last longer. I have seen soft bags were the thread effentually breaks.

yup- softer weights never outlast the solid ones, but they mould to ur body nicely and therefore don't dig into your hips :D

Dariuszpl:
Hi everyone! I have a quick question for you about choice of weights.
I own weight integrated bc and have not purchased the weights for it yet.
My question is should I get soft or solid weights and why. I gues I could use solid weighs both in my BC and on the weight belt etc.,
Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Hold a 4# soft weight at waist level and drop it on your toes. Now hold a 4# solid weight at waist height, now drop it. If you're really crazy enough to do this, go ahead and buy the solids.

I've got a weight integrated BC that either will work in and have both. Only because I bought all my soft weights "used" from someone for really cheap. I've also got a regular weight belt and a soft, so I can wear either on my waist in a different BC.
I usually use the hard weights in the BC though. Most tropical dive locations won't have soft ones for you to use, so get a BC that will use either.

As others said, you'll need more soft weight verses hard weight for the same dive.

The simple solution is to drop one 5 pounder on your foot and see how much you scream with each type. Do this bare footed. The soft one will "contour" around your foot. You'll feel it, but it won't really hurt. I think you can figure out what will happen when you drop the 5 pound hard weight on your foot. leandsHow's that for a decision maker. Soft weights also also won't damage the boat or any gear it lands on.

-mike

mike_s:
As others said, you'll need more soft weight verses hard weight for the same dive.

Hmm... I suppose you think a kilo of lead weighs more than a kilo of feathers too?

mike_s:
The only way I can see this being true, is if you are using the neoprene type of soft weight. And this is because the neoprene is naturally bouyant and therefore offsetting the weight.

If you are using the mesh bags, the the bouyancy of the mesh is fairly negligible. And therefore there should not be any differance in your weight requirements.

TwoTanks:
Zeagle has odd shaped weight pockets and the weights don't fit into slots so the just lay in the pouches. the way hard weights lay in the pouches hard corners can stick out and when you put down the BC they can bang against things and damage the fabric. I follow zeagle's recomendation and usually use soft weight in the bc. Some of the guys I dive with have small holes in their pouches where the hard weight has worn through.
My exact reasons for using soft weights...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom