Software Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I used V-Planner for my desktop dive planning for a number of years, and then discussions on Rebreather World and ScubaBoard led me to decide I wanted to use ZHL-16 with gradient factors. I started using Shearwater computers, which use that algorithm. I asked Shearwater for suggestions for such a program, and they suggested a free one from New Zealand, IIRC--I can't remember the name. I tried it out but did not like it, mostly because it lacked the ability to do multi-level dive planing. That is also true of the Shearwater planning--you can't multi-level the plan.

I eventually settled on Multi-deco, which has some good extra features, like gas mixing, and which does indeed allow for multi-level planning. Recent ScubaBoard discussions and recent private discussions have led me to question that decision. I now have my doubts about the algorithm as it is run in that program.

Does anyone know of a good alternative?

PastoDeco?

BTW - MultiDeco has more than 1 algorithm, and unless I'm mistaken, it's just the VPM component that is under attack. Please enlighten me if this is incorrect...

PastoDeco?

BTW - MultiDeco has more than 1 algorithm, and unless I'm mistaken, it's just the VPM component that is under attack. Please enlighten me if this is incorrect...
In recent threads, the author of the ZHL-16 program in Multi-deco said, in essence, that it sucked. He made a lot of comments about how bad it was. He said the entire concept of GFs is bad. If the author of the program thinks it sucks and does not believe it works, how can I have any confidence in how it was created?

DecoPlanner. It's not pretty but it works
+1

I have multideco and it does seem to match other implementations of ZHL16. I think there was a comparison of ZHL16 software implementations somewhere on CCRx at one point.

I have used MultiDeco for about a year now. It supports VPM-B, VPM-B/E, VPM-B +GFS, ZHL16-B +GF, and ZHL16-C +GF. I recently upgraded form v4.11 to v4.12, I don't know what the changes were. I use only ZHL16-C +GF for dive planning. I occasionally look at VPM-B for comparisons.

Despite all the recent discussion on ScubaBoard regarding deep stops and VPM vs. ZHL, I have no reason to think the the decompression algorithms are not fully and correctly implemented in MultiDeco. The software has been used by many divers for many years. The calculations I make using ZHL16-C + GF agree with calculations I make on my dive computer.

Despite all the vitriol in the 2 closed threads, I think we should be careful to not overreach and commit some of the same transgressions that ended up closing both threads. If there is additional factual information out there, I would be glad to take it into consideration.

Respectively, Craig

PastoDeco?

I think some concern about using Multideco with ZHL + GF might be caused by certain statements by the author of Multideco, like e.g.:

Gradient Factors, as currently implemented, are a disaster.

[GF] was not implemented that way. there are more conditions and issues than shown above. The way its coded, is to be patched onto the end of a finished plan. It has compounding time problems, and gets into exponential runaway conditions.

I for one would be leery about using a tool which the toolmaker himself has characterized as "a disaster".

Despite all the vitriol in the 2 closed threads, I think we should be careful to not overreach and commit some of the same transgressions that ended up closing both threads. If there is additional factual information out there, I would be glad to take it into consideration.
This is a good point, and I probably am overstating the problem.

The simple truth is that I would prefer to use a different software program, and I was hoping for a good recommendation.

having read all the crap in those threads, snippets can be very miss-leading....
one or two snarky comments sure, people have bad days or get mis-interpreted, whatever. We move on.

A pattern of (escalating) snippets over multiple threads and years is worth taking into consideration more.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom