sogod bay vs. malapascua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manhattandiver:
Ditto. IMHO, there's no contest between the two. Other than the Threshers and a couple of wrecks, Malapascua diving is nothing special. Sogod, on the other hand, has some of the best diving in the Philippines and you should have a decent chance of seeing Whale Sharks while you're there.

That's interesting because I've had the exact opposite experience. I must qualify that I am interested in the little stuff primarily so I enjoy Nudi's and all the other slow moving bottom stuff. All of which I have seen on the variety of dives in Malapascua. I really enjoy Gato Island where you have a varying topography on the bottom. I have only visited Sogod once but unfortunately the nudibranch's were hiding (it has happened in Malapascua as well). The best Sogod dive was the night dive at the pier.

Think that both Malapascua and Sogod Bay have some very good diving. Of course the realistic opportunity to spot a whale shark in the right season is something to consider but like the poster above said, Gato Island is incredibly rich with small critters, the seasnakes and those little whitetips. I could dive both for weeks. And that's where I am going with this - if you have only three days, won't you effectively waste too much time travelling to either place? You can get yourself in three hours to both Alona Beach and Moalboal after touching down on Mactan airport, not sure that timing works for Sogod and Malapascua too. Just my thoughts. Whereever you end up, happy bubbles! Arie

Bombarie:
And that's where I am going with this - if you have only three days, won't you effectively waste too much time travelling to either place? You can get yourself in three hours to both Alona Beach and Moalboal after touching down on Mactan airport, not sure that timing works for Sogod and Malapascua too. Just my thoughts.

Malapascua is a bum-aching, piles-inducing 4 hour road trip followed by a wet hour on a small boat. 3 days is a very short time to spend there on account of the transfer.

Traminer:
Malapascua is a bum-aching, piles-inducing 4 hour road trip followed by a wet hour on a small boat. 3 days is a very short time to spend there on account of the transfer.

Oooooo, piles.:mooner: If you take a taxi it's a bit nicer but at least 5 hours by bus. Yeah I didn't see the 3 days. Heck you'll use that much time just getting from here to there and back again in the Philippines.

thanks for the comments. i actually have four days and three nights. i know its a bit short but i hope to be able to do at least two days diving. i dove balicasag last december so i want to try a different area for a change. leaning towards sogod bay and reserving malapascua for later when the treshers are more active.

Hmm...never been to Sogod. Any nice resort with nice beaches and good food...and maybe a pool?

jbb:
That's interesting because I've had the exact opposite experience. I must qualify that I am interested in the little stuff primarily so I enjoy Nudi's and all the other slow moving bottom stuff. All of which I have seen on the variety of dives in Malapascua. I really enjoy Gato Island where you have a varying topography on the bottom. I have only visited Sogod once but unfortunately the nudibranch's were hiding (it has happened in Malapascua as well). The best Sogod dive was the night dive at the pier.

I like little stuff too! I could dive the same site day after day with a UW camera and not be bored. So...Malapascua is still the place?

Gussy

Peter's dive shop has a pool there but that's mainly for training Open Water divers I think. The other good resort is Sogod Bay Scuba Resort. It's quite small, with only 5 or 7 rooms but it's clean and has good food. No pool though. Ultimately, Sogod Bay is basic in terms of amenities so if you're expecting a full scale resort, it isn't the place. The beach is hard coral beach, so no sand.

Jigo,

Looking forward to your trip report!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom